Victoria University offers a range of summer and winter school elective units for students to take during semester breaks. Units are offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Summer and winter semesters are voluntary study periods and are also known as:
- Summer Block 1 (if you are a first-year VU Guaranteed undergraduate student)
- Summer or winter block if you are enrolled in VU Block Model®
- SEM 3 (summer) or SEM 4 (winter) if you're studying in a standard semester.
If you're considering enrolling in a summer or winter unit, please be aware that enrolment is subject to minimum and maximum student numbers and units on offer may change at any time.
Benefits of summer & winter study
Studying during the summer or winter periods could mean:
- a lower student-to-teacher ratio
- a shorter timeframe to complete a unit
- flexibility to take a summer or winter block instead of one of your other blocks during the year, freeing up time for holidays, travel, work and more
- faster completion of credit points toward your qualification
- the chance to take a unit that might be a course elective
- the opportunity to repeat failed units in order to meet pre-requisites for the following semester.
Units currently offered for summer & winter blocks
Not every unit is offered during summer or winter study periods.
Students studying in VU Block Model® do not have to attend exams. Exams may apply for some winter school units in standard semesters.
How to enrol online
When selecting units, make sure you select semester 3 for summer of semester 4 for winter.
Enrolment forms for other situations
If you're not a VU student use this form to apply to study a unit at VU that will be counted towards your course at another institution.
Use this form to apply to study a single higher education single subject that does not contribute to a course (non-award enrolment).