Course & unit advice

Get in touch with your Course and Unit Advisor (CUA)

Send an enquiry directly to your CUA through our ASKCUA submission page (VU login required).

Each course at VU has Course and Unit Advisors (CUAs) to help you. They are the first point of contact if you need administrative assistance and advice relating to your course at VU.

CUAs have a broad range of knowledge and expertise on the coursework programs within their specialist group. They can provide help and guidance with most practical course-related matters.

Course & Unit Advisors (CUAs)

CUAs provide a range of academic administration services and course-specific advice.

Ask your CUA about:

  • course requirements
  • choosing or changing units or electives
  • creating a study plan to fit around your commitments
  • resolving timetable issues.

CUAs can approve requests for:

  • unit waivers
  • cross-institutional study applications
  • Reduced Study Load applications
  • CoE extensions
  • overseas study plans.

CUA drop-in sessions

CUAs are available Monday to Thursday each week across our VUHQ student service centres to provide in-person support to students. We encourage you to visit your CUA during their dedicated drop-in times at VUHQ for the following one-to-one services:

  • Unit selection/amendment – To receive help choosing the right units to enrol into to meet the requirements of your course.
  • Domestic and International form assessment – For advice on your entitlement to apply for Waiver of Unit Rules Forms, Short Assignment Extensions, Reduced Study Load Applications, CoE Extensions and Cross-Institutional Study Applications.
  • Course transfer advice – For specific advice on transferring to other courses at VU, including how the units you have already successfully completed will apply towards a new course.
  • Timetable issue resolution – For help solving timetable class allocation issues that you've been unable to resolve using MyTimetable.
  • Advanced Standing application assistance – If you are having difficulty completing the advanced standing application and need help understanding how your previously completed units will apply towards VU credit.
  • Progression enquiries – If you are in the final year of your course, your CUA can confirm that you are enrolled in the correct units to graduate.
  • Results queries – If you have been unsuccessful in completing a unit and require assistance understanding how this will affect your progression, or if you are seeking to dispute a grade.

View our weekly CUA drop-in sessions schedule

Our weekly schedule is updated daily. Please check the schedule before attending to see if your CUA is available.

Book an appointment with a CUA

You can make an appointment online via AskVU to speak one-to-one with a CUA. These appointments can help if you are:

  • unable to attend a CUA drop-in session
  • require more in-depth, extended support
  • prefer to speak to someone over the phone.

To book a CUA, please select the relevant button:

Arts, Business & Law

Book an appointment to discuss courses offered by Arts and Humanities Program, Victoria Law School or VU Business School.

Book arts, business or law


Book an appointment to discuss courses offered by Early Childhood Program or Education Program.

Book education

Engineering, Science & IT

Book an appointment to discuss courses offered by the Built Environment Program, Engineering Program, Information Technology Program or Science Program.

Book engineering, science or IT

Health & biomedicine

Book an appointment to discuss courses offered by: Biomedical & Life Science Program, Clinical Science Program, Nursing & Midwifery Program.

Book health or biomedicine

Community, Psychology, Allied & Sport

Book an appointment to discuss courses offered by the Community Program, Pscyhology Program or Allied Health Program.

Book community, psychology, allied or sport

Once you have logged in to AskVU, you’ll be prompted to select the:

  • type of service you need
  • course you are enrolled in
  • preferred date and time from the available appointments.

You'll receive an email confirming your appointment. We will also send you a reminder on the day of your appointment.

CUA specialists

Our team of Course and Unit Advisors are broken into five specialist groups who work together to support their student cohort. To see a full list of courses assigned to each specialist group, click the specialist group below: