The Student Information Privacy Collection Statement provides details about the types of student information we collect and how it is managed. Students should read this Statement prior to completing any forms.
If you have any questions regarding privacy, please check our frequently asked questions at AskVU or phone us on 9919 6100 or 1300 VIC UNI (or 1300 842 864).
You may also contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org for any privacy related query or concern.
Website Privacy Statement
Information automatically logged
- The University may make a record of your visit and log any of the following information for statistical and business purposes - the user's address, the user's domain name, IP address, the date and time of the visit, the pages accessed and documents downloaded, the previous site visited and the type of browser used. Identification of the user may also be requested and logged.
- Information about your visit to the website may also be logged by an external service provider that produces to the University de-identified statistical analysis about users' online experiences and trends.
- If you are not a student or staff member and you send us a message, the University will record your email address.
University sites have security measures in place against the loss, misuse and alteration of information. A login name and password are required to visit secure areas. Staff and students should ensure that passwords are kept confidential.
- A cookie is a small message given to your web browser by our web server. The browser stores the message in a text file and the message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. It is possible to disable the acceptance of cookies by your web browser, however, doing so may restrict your ability to access some web pages.
- Cookies may store the following information: session (numbered key) and duration. A numbered key is a unique server generated number used to track your current session. The session key can be linked back to a user's login identification.
- Unique identifiers (such as log-in name and password) are collected from web site visitors to verify a user's identity and for use as account numbers in our record system.
- Unique identifiers are also used to access stored information about a visitor's preferences to enable the dynamic display of the site according to your preferences when you return.
Some University sites contain links to other sites. The University is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of other sites.
Some University sites may have chat rooms, forums, on-line teaching environments, message boards and news groups available to their users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these arenas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when disclosing your personal information.
Access to information
VU will provide access to information it holds about you, subject to legal requirements.
In some instances, requests for access to information will need to be made through VU's Freedom of Information process.