Summer & winter school study
Victoria University offers a range of summer and winter school elective units for students to undertake during the two main semester breaks. Units are offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Summer school is also known as Study Period 3 and winter school is known as Study Period 4, both are only available for Higher Education students.
When considering enrolling in a summer or winter unit, please be aware that enrolment is subject to minimum and maximum student numbers.
On this page
Benefits of summer & winter school study
- Lower student to teacher ratio
- Shorter time frame to complete a unit
- Faster completion of credit points toward your qualification
- Potential opportunity to repeat failed units in order to meet pre-requisites for the following semester
- Weekend classes and short intensives available in some instances.
Higher Education, Semester 4, 2016 (Winter school)
- 12 May 2016 – Timetable published
- 16 May 2016 – Online enrolment will be open for select units of study
- 23 May 2016 (4pm) – MyTimetable open in Allocation Adjustment Mode
- 6 June 2016 – Winter school semester 4 begins
- 8 June 2016 – Administrative Census date (online enrolment closes for timely amendments)
- 15 June 2016 – Census date (online enrolment closes)
- 17 June 2016 (4pm) – MyTimetable open in Read-only Mode
- 13 July 2016 – Examination timetable released
- 15 July 2016 – Winter school semester 4 finishes
- 18 July 2016 – Examinations begin
- 23 July 2016 – Examinations finish
- 8 August 2016 – Examination results released in MYVU portal.
Step 1: Check which units are offered
Step 1: Check which units are offered for summer or winter school (study period/semester 3 or 4). Please note that not all colleges offer units over summer/winter. Units being offered are subject to change at the discretion of Victoria University.
College of Arts units
- ACG5203 Print & web journalism (City Flinders)
- AEK1204 Aboriginal history & politics (Footscray Park)
- ASA5011 Human rights theory and practice (Footscray Park)
- ASS2027 Timor-Leste: History, politics & society (study tour)
- ASS5027 Timor-Leste: History, politics & society (study tour).
College of Business units
- BMO5500 Governance (City Flinders) – Cancelled
- BMO5505 Leadership and innovation practicum (City Flinders, study tour) – Full – not accepting further enrolments.
College of Education units
- AEB1103 Learning teaching and praxis inquiry (St Albans)
- AEB1306 Mathematical knowledge for teaching 1 (St Albans)
- AEB1307 Mathematical knowledge for teaching 2 (St Albans)
- AEB1800 Youth work practice (Footscray Park)
- AEB2150 Reasoning for problem solving (Footscray Park)
- AEB2163 Visual & creative arts (St Albans)
- AEB2250 Healthy activity community & wellbeing (Footscray Park)
- AEB2251 Imagination creativity & design (St Albans)
- AEB2502 Approaches to food & beverage technologies & service (Footscray Nicholson)
- AEB2802 Ethics & youth work practice (Footscray Park)
- AEB2803 Holistic practice with young people (Footscray Park)
- AEB3302 Critical practices for teachers in secondary schools (Footscray Park)
- AEB3805 Youth policy – civics & culture (Footscray Park)
- AEB4169 Mathematics and numeracy in primary (St Albans)
- AEG5119 Contemporary issues, social contexts of learning social justice (St Albans)
- EDI3001 Rights, advocacy and discrimination (Footscray Park)
- EEC1101 Personal and professional learning (St Albans)
- EEC1102 Orientation to education and human development (Footscray Park)
- EEC1103 ICT in Education for the 21St Century (Footscray Park)
- EEC1105 Reconciling Australian Humanities Education (Footscray Park).
College of Engineering & Science units
- EPM5520 Sustainable project management (Footscray Park).
College of Health & Biomedicine units
- no Winter units are being offered at this time.
College of Law & Justice units
- LLW4002 Australian migration law (City Queen)
- LLW4003 Australia's visa system (City Queen).
College of Sport & Exercise Science units
- SPE1001 Growth and Motor Development (Footscray Park).
Step 2: Check the timetable planner
Step 2: Check the 2016 Timetable Planner to find out when the unit is offered.
The timetable was published 12 May 2016. You should ensure you check the timetable regularly for updates.
Step 3: Enrol
Step 3: Enrol online.
You will be able to enrol in available summer or winter school units online via MYVU Portal when enrolment opens. When selecting units, ensure you select semester 3 for summer of semester 4 for winter.
- Cross institutional inbound application and authorisation – A41b
- If you're not a VU student use this form to apply to study a unit at VU that will be counted towards your course at another institution.
- Non award Unit of Study application/enrolment (higher education) – A42
Use this form to apply to study a single higher education single subject that does not contribute to a course (non-award enrolment).
Information about enrolment fees and charges for domestic students can be found on our website.
If you have any questions about summer or winter school please contact the Student Service Centre.
Phone: +61 3 9919 6100
In person: Student Service Centre locations