Summer & winter school study
Victoria University offers a range of summer and winter school elective units for students to undertake during the two main semester breaks. Units are offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
On this page
Winter school enrolment
Winter school is also known as Study Period 4 and is only available for Higher Education students. When considering enrolling in a winter unit, please be aware that enrolment is subject to minimum and maximum student numbers.
Benefits of winter school study
- Lower student to teacher ratio
- Shorter time frame to complete a unit
- Faster completion of credit points to complete your qualification
- Potential opportunity to repeat failed units in order to meet pre-requisites for the following semester
- Weekend classes and short intensives available in some instances
16 April - Winter school timetable available and enrolments open.
27 May until 5pm - My Timetable allocation adjustment mode opens (students can view their personal timetable and change their allocations instantly).
29 May at 23:59pm - Winter school enrolment closes.
1 June - Winter school semester commences.
12 June at 5pm - Winter school timetable changes to ‘read only’ mode – after this, students will not be able to change their allocations.
10 July - Winter school semester ends.
15 June - Winter census date. If you withdraw from a Winter unit after the census, you will still be liable for the fees.
Step 1: Check which units are offered for winter school (units will be listed on this page mid-April). Please note that not all colleges are offering winter units.
Step 2. Check the Timetable Planner to find out when the unit is offered. You should ensure you check the timetable regularly for updates.
Step 3: Enrol, either online or by paper.
- If you enrolled in your course online, you will be able to enrol in available winter school units online via MYVU Portal when enrolment opens. When selecting units, ensure you select semester 4.
- If your course is not available for online enrolment, you can use the Unit of Study Amendment (higher education) form.
- Unit of study amendment (higher education) - A13
higher education students use this form to enrol in a unit(s) of study.
- Cross institutional inbound application and authorisation - A41b
If you're not a VU student use this form to apply to study a unit at VU that will be counted towards your course at another institution.
- Non award Unit of Study application/enrolment (higher education) - A42
Use this form to apply to study a single higher education single subject that does not contribute to a course (non-award enrolment).
Information about enrolment fees and charges for domestic students can be found on our website.
If you have any questions about summer or winter school please contact the Student Service Centre.
Phone: +61 3 9919 6100
In person: Student Service Centre locations