Domestic undergraduate or postgraduate places are either Commonwealth supported or full-fee paying.

International students are required to pay tuition fees up front by the payment deadline as a full-fee–paying student.

Domestic student fees

Domestic undergraduate or postgraduate places will be in one of these categories:

Maximum fees are set each year for a full-time study load. They may need to be paid up front or, if the student is eligible for loan, they may be deferred via that loan to be repaid later.

Domestic Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students may be eligible to receive a Research Training Program (RTP) fee-offset place to cover the cost of study.

See the Commonwealth supported students page for information about calculating the cost of your units.

If you are eligible, you can access HELP loan(s) to assist you with your fees.

If you are not eligible for a HELP loan, or have elected not to use a loan, you will need to pay your fees up front by the due date to avoid a late-payment penalty. Alternatively, you may be eligible for a fee extension.

To avoid cancellation of your enrolment, you need to pay your tuition fees by the relevant census date for your study period.


With new government legislation on higher education fees, the amount you will pay for your course in 2021 has changed. Find out more and calculate the cost of your tuition fees.

International student fees

As an international student, you are required to pay your tuition fees up front by the payment deadline as a full-fee paying student. The tuition fees that you are charged will depend on:

  • your course
  • the year you start your study
  • your study load.

For more detailed information, see the international student fees page.

Payment of fees

After your initial tuition-fee payment (your fee deposit), all subsequent payments must be made by the payment deadlines outlined on your statement of account (available via MyVU). This means you will avoid a late payment penalty or cancellation of your enrolment.

Cohort fees

From 2019, international fees are set using your 'cohort year'. This is based on the year in which you commenced your current course. Your cohort year and fees will remain unchanged for the duration of your course, unless you transfer to another course.

Students who commenced in 2018 or earlier will have a cohort year of 2018.

Get help with your fees

As an international student, you may be eligible for a fee extension if you apply before the payment deadline of the relevant study period. If you are unable to pay your fees by the due date or extended due date as a result of an unexpected event, you may be eligible for an extension based on exceptional circumstances.

A Senior Adviser from Student Support can give you free, confidential financial advice to help you with budgeting and money management.