Full-fee paying students

If you enrol in a domestic full-fee place, your tuition fees are not subsidised by the Australian Government.

You will need to pay the full amount for all units you are enrolled in before the relevant census date for each study period. You are considered to be a full-fee paying student.

Calculating your fees

The amount you pay for your course is the sum of the full-fee amount for the units you are enrolled in. Course pages display all of the units that make up your course, including core, professional and elective units.

2024 fees:

2023 fees:

How fees are calculated

Different study areas are grouped into several bands by the Government for full-fee paying students. The bands set the maximum amount that can be charged for units on a full-time study load.

When calculating your student contribution, the amount you pay will depend on the:

  • band that each unit fits into (as they are not always the same, such as when enrolling in electives)
  • unit's study load (EFTSL)
  • year (since the band amounts are indexed annually).

EFTSL stands for 'equivalent full-time student load'. This is a measure of the study load for one year of a full-time student. A single unit normally has 12 credit points, which is equivalent to 0.125.

Your tuition fee for a unit of study is calculated as: EFTSL multiplied by band range = unit tuition fee

Fee calculation example

Type of place



Fee band per EFTSL

Tuition fee

Full Fee EPM5500 – Fundamentals of project management 0.125 3 ($25,200) $3,150


Government tuition fee loan

Eligible students enrolled in a full-fee paying place may be able to get help paying their fees through the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), administered by the Government.

FEE-HELP is a loan scheme to help eligible domestic full-fee paying students pay for all or part of their tuition fees. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books.

TAFE students should see our information on VET Students Loans.

Get help with your fees

There are many ways we can help if you need support paying your fees, including with a fee extension, student loan or scholarship.

Read more about getting help paying your fees

We also provide free and confidential advice if you experience personal, financial or study-related difficulties.

Visit us at VUHQ and talk to a student advisor

You can also get more information about government assistance for financing tertiary study.

Visit the Australian Government's StudyAssist website