The Victoria University Human Research Ethics Committee (VUHREC) oversees the conduct of all research involving humans conducted by the University. The VUHREC reviews all high risk applications and applications from other institutions.
The Low Risk Human Research Ethics Panel (LRHREP) reviews applications deemed to be low or negligible risk. All LRHREP approvals are submitted to the VUHREC for ratification.
Terms of Reference
The University's Human Research Ethics Committee is guided by the Victoria University Human Research Ethics Committee Terms of Reference.
These Terms of Reference are based on the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research and Commonwealth and state laws.
Membership & Duty Statements
The composition of the VUHREC complies with those set out in the NHMRC guidelines. Membership consists of:
- Lay People (one man and one woman who have no affiliation with VU except as a member of the HREC)
- Expert in Human Research (member with knowledge of and current experience in the areas of research that are regularly considered by the HREC)
- Professional in Care, Counselling or Treatment of People
- Community Leader/Person who performs a pastoral care role in a community
- Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander expert in research
The LRHREP is comprised of a number of current VU human research ethics leaders.
VUHREC key dates & contact details
Meeting & submission dates
The Low Risk Human Research Ethics Panel continuously reviews applications deemed “Low Risk” as defined in the National Statement. Each application is reviewed by two College reviewers and the Chair. Please allow three to five weeks turnaround for these applications.
VUHREC Chair, Associate Professor Deborah Zion
+61 3 9919 4058 | email@example.com
Deputy Chair, Professor Max de Courten
+61 3 9919 2208| firstname.lastname@example.org
Manager, Research Ethics and Integrity, Ms Elizabeth Hill
+61 3 9919 4781 | email@example.com
Senior Officer, Ethics and Research Integrity, Ms Birute Prasmutas
+61 3 9919 4461 | firstname.lastname@example.org