Staff from the Learning Hub and the Graduate Research Centre provide a number of programs and services to assist you with your research writing including:
- drop-in sessions
- researcher development programs and workshops (sessions for research writing are listed under Research fundamentals)
- an annual writers retreat.
The Research Ambassadors can also provide thesis writing assistance to PhD candidates by appointment.
With an emphasis on thesis writing, our Writing Circles aim to encourage PhD students to:
- share writing resources and tips
- develop reflection and editing skills
- give and receive feedback on drafts
- build confidence and independence
- meet other research students with similar interests
- maintain ongoing links and support if desired.
Get together & write
Are you a research student finding it difficult to get a writing flow?
Groups of VU researchers (students and staff) 'get together and write' every week.
Building P, Room P416 (top floor of the library)
Footscray Park Campus
Bring your ideas, whatever you are currently working on. Write alongside others and get motivated to keep going over a two-hour block of time.
No need to register - just show up.
Performing the word – writing retreat
At the retreat you’ll join thesis writers from five universities who want to experiment with pushing the boundaries to how we present scholarly knowledge – who are keen to go beyond the 'thesis style' of writing that can limit the possibility we have as writers to have a meaningful conversation with our reader. Give and receive feedback on drafts and challenges students to think creatively or differently.
This is an annual event run over 5 days.
An invitation to submit an expression of interest will be send out via VU email account (for students) or the Research Info list (for staff).