Throughout the lifecycle of a Higher Degree by Research (HDR), students (pre-candidature) and candidates are periodically reviewed by an independent panel to demonstrate to the University that high quality research is being undertaken and in a timely manner.
This page provides all the necessary information and forms to help prepare for a candidature milestone review.
Timelines for candidature
It is the student/candidate’s responsibility to be aware of their timelines and discuss this with supervisors in advance of a due date.
The timelines for each review are:
Guidelines (All candidature milestones)
Schedule a review: Composition of Panel
To schedule your milestone review, please liaise with your supervisor to finalise a date and time. The Principal Supervisor is responsible for organising the Panel, including the Chair.
Contact the Candidature Team to obtain a current list of approved Panel Chairs.
All candidates have access to their Candidature and Professional Development funds after achieving Confirmation of Candidature.
These are two separate funds and should be itemised as such.
Refer to the budget guide (see below) that correlates to your initial commencing enrolment date:
Forms & submission requirements
Refer to the following requirements, before you make a submission:
Your pre-candidature may be extended for a defined period up to a maximum of 12 months (EFT) from the commencement of your pre-candidature phase. To obtain an extension you must have experienced unanticipated difficulties during the pre-candidature period as a result of one or more of the following:
- disruption to supervision
- change in focus and direction of the proposed project
- revision required in the review process leading up to presentation for candidature
- difficulties in scheduling of candidature confirmation deliberations and/or in convening a suitable confirmation panel
- documented personal illness or other serious personal difficulties
- other unforeseen disruptions beyond your control that have directly impacted on your capacity to prepare for candidature.
If you need to extend your pre-candidature, please contact the Graduate Research School within six months (effective full-time) of the commencement of your pre-candidature.