Withdraw from your course

If you want to transfer to another course at Victoria University (VU), enrol at another university/college or start a full-time job, you can withdraw from your course (also known as course discontinuation).

If you have received an offer to study at VU but have not yet enrolled, you can apply to defer your studies and start your course at a later date, or change your course preference.

Apply for course withdrawal

International students

International students need to complete and submit a  Course discontinuation application and a Course withdrawal - additional information form.

Please email the International Enrolments team at intenrol@vu.edu.au if you wish to discontinue your course.

When you withdraw from your course, the University will notify the Department of Home Affairs that you are no longer a student of Victoria University by cancelling your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). This may lead to the cancellation of your Visa. In this situation, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs as soon as possible on 131 881.

If you intend to change your course, you need to make sure you continue to meet the conditions of your student visa. You should review the information about changing courses on the Department of Home Affairs website for more information. 

Domestic students need to apply for withdrawal using MyVU.

Any TAFE student choosing to withdraw from their course or units in their course, must go to VUHQ (Student Service Centre) so that a pre-printed withdrawal form can be produced. VUHQ will provide you with the form and you must see your College to have the form completed and authorised.

For advice on how to submit your form, please contact us via: 

Defer your studies

If you have received an offer from Victoria University, but would prefer to wait and start your course later, you can apply to defer starting your studies for up to 12 months.

Change your course preference

If you are a local student, and have lodged a VTAC application to study at Victoria University, please be aware that there are deadlines for changing your course preference. Please see the VTAC website for details.

If you are an international student, and currently enrolled in an ELICOS, TAFE or higher education course, you can change your course preference using the A220 Defer your studies / Change of preference form

Avoid withdrawal fees

International students

For information on TAFE and ELICOS withdrawal fees, see the International Refunds Policy.

The Victoria University census date is the final date for withdrawal from a higher education course without incurring academic and financial penalties.

Make sure you are aware of the census and fee payment deadlines.

For information on course withdrawal before Census date, please consult ASKVU.

Certain conditions apply for students who want to transfer from Victoria University.