If you have been granted a student visa after accepting an offer to study at Victoria University, you need to complete at least six calendar months of your principal course at VU.
If you have been offered a package deal, comprising multiple courses, your principal course is the highest qualification/ last course you had chosen to undertake at VU.
Once you have completed the six calendar months in your principal course, you can transfer to another provider and won't require a release. You need to officially withdraw from your course at VU, in writing, by completing and submitting the course withdrawal forms.
The Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled and VU will notify the Department of Home Affairs of the change.
You can only transfer to another provider within six months in the following situations:
- a release has been approved by VU (the International Student Transfer Policy and International Student Transfer Procedure documents outline the process of when a release can be granted)
- the university is no longer offering the course, or has ceased to be registered for this course
- you are transferring to an overseas provider
- you are sponsored by your government, and the sponsor is of the opinion that a transfer is in your best interest; the sponsor must notify the university in writing.
How to apply for release
Before you apply, familiarise yourself with the International Student Transfer Policy and International Student Transfer Procedure, which outline the process of when a release can be granted. This will give you an indication if you are eligible to apply.
All transfers to and from Victoria University are assessed on a case-by-case basis in line with Standard 7 of the 2018 National Code and the International Student Transfer Policy. The University can refuse to release you from your course if we believe the transfer would be detrimental to you.
What to do while your application is assessed
Until your application has been assessed and approved, you must:
- remain enrolled for the relevant study period
- pay your fees by the payment due date
- attend all classes
- participate in class/external group work
- submit all assignments
- complete all online quizzes, tests and exams.