Transfer to another course

If you wish to enrol into a different course at Victoria University (VU), or would like to transfer between VU and another registered provider, you can apply for a course transfer.

Transferring between providers

Visa information

Find out about changing courses and how it affects your student visa from the Department of Home Affairs website.

You can contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 881 (from within Australia).

This information applies to international students only. Domestic students wanting to study at another institution should read information on course withdrawal.

If you are an international student you must complete six months of your principal course before you can transfer to another registered provider (a ‘provider’ is a university, TAFE or private college registered to provide courses to international students).

If you have not completed six months of your course, your application to transfer may be refused.

Transfer from Victoria University

If you have completed six months at Victoria University, and you want to transfer from Victoria University to another place of study, you need to withdraw from your course.

If you have not completed six months at Victoria University, you need to:

All transfers to and from Victoria University are assessed on a case-by-case basis in line with the University's Transfer Policy. The University can refuse to release you from your course if we believe the transfer would be detrimental to you.

If you need assistance with your transfer, or you would like to discuss find out how to transfer into another VU course, you can contact Victoria University International

Transfer to Victoria University

If you have completed six months at another provider and want to transfer to Victoria University, find out how to submit an international application to study with us.

If you have not completed six months at your current place of study, and you want to transfer to Victoria University you need to:

  • obtain a 'letter of release' from your current provider
  • submit the 'letter of release' with your international application.

Transferring within VU

International students

Contact VU International for advice on applying for other VU courses.

If you find that the course you enrolled in is not right for you, and wish to take up another course at Victoria University, you may consider applying for a course transfer.

Domestic students currently enrolled in a VU course at any level, may make an internal application for another VU course. Internal applicants must satisfy the same entry requirement as other applicants for the course.

VU may give preference to an internal applicant above an external applicant at our discretion, in accordance with the selection criteria for the course.

If you are deferring payment of your fees for the new course, you will also need to complete a new HECS-HELP/FEE-HELP/VET FEE-HELP request form and submit it with your enrolment form.

Fee HELP forms are not available electronically - we can provide you with a copy at VUHQ. If want to apply for an online course, you may need to complete one online as part of the online process. 

How to apply for an internal course transfer

To apply for a course transfer, you will need to apply for the course that want to study, via our Admissions Centre. You will be subject to the same requirements as all other applicants at the time of applying. 

When you're ready to apply, find the course that you're interested in, and click 'Apply direct to VU' (only visible when applications are open for that course).

Course pages include details of the entry requirements and any required supporting documentation needed to complete your application.

There is no guarantee that your application will be successful. Please do not withdraw from your existing course until you have received confirmation that you have been accepted into the new course.

Contact us

Please feel free to contact us by phoning +61 3 9919 6100 or ask us a question online. You can also chat online with one of our staff.