Victoria University research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people must be approved by the University’s Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) before it can commence.
Researchers are strongly encouraged to engage with the Moondani Balluk Indigenous Academic Unit on projects of relevance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and prior to submission of an application to the HREC.
Please contact Professor Gary Foley, member of the HREC at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your proposal.
Moondani Balluk expects researchers to be familiar with the following work, particularly that of Professor Linda Tuhiwai Smith:
- Professor Linda Tuhiwai Smith, Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples, Zed Books, London / University of Otago Press, Dunedin, 1999.
- Dr Clare Land, Decolonizing solidarity: Dilemmas and Directions for Supporters of Indigenous Struggles, Zed Books, London, 2015.
Principles & practices
Reciprocal engagement is a necessity and central to this research field.
For detailed information on the principles and practices in specific areas see the following guidelines:
- The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Guidelines for Ethical Research in Australian Indigenous Studies (2012)
- National Health and Medical Research Council: Values and Ethics: Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research (2003)
The Australia Council for the Arts have published Indigenous Cultural Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Music, Writing, Visual Arts, Media Arts and Performing Arts (2007):
- Music: Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Music
- Writing: Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing
- Visual Arts: Protocols for producing Indigenous Australian Visual Arts
- Media Arts: Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Media Arts
- Performing Arts: Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Performing Arts
Where relevant, the proposed research will only be approved if it complies with the principles and practices outlined in these policies.
For more information see the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education and Acknowledgement Policy.
Contact for research proposals
Professor Gary Foley
Member of the HREC