NVivo can assist you to organise and analyse complex non-numerical or unstructured data, text and multimedia, it also supports some statistical analysis functions. NVivo accommodates a wide range of research methods, supports documents in many languages and is useful for qualitative research and data analysis. It's used by researchers in a broad range of fields including:
- social sciences
- medical/health sciences.
NVivo for literature reviews
You can import references from your EndNote library into NVivo and use it to assist with your literature review.
- NVivo and EndNote - Improving Your Literature Review (You Tube)
- NVivo for your literature review (You Tube)
Access to NVivo software on campus
Access NVivo via your student login on computers in the library and learning commons. Staff and research students may also request installation on their office computer via ITS.
Off-campus access to NVivo
Staff and students can also use NVivo at home. Installation disks are available for overnight loan from library service desks at most campuses. Alternatively you can follow the ITS self-service procedure to install NVivo on your personal computers:
- Visit the online ITS Service Desk
- Log in with your Active Directory credentials (s + student number, e+staff number and password)
- From the Services Catalogue select NVivo from the All Categories listing
- Agree to the end user agreement and you will be emailed the download link and licence key
- Download and install NVivo, enter the licence key provided in the email and fill in user information
Please note: you need an active internet connection to download the software and authorise the install code.
NCapture is a free web browser extension that enables you to gather material from the web to import into NVivo. You can collect a range of web content such as:
- web pages
- online articles
- blog posts
- social media data from:
* If you are using a Mac computer, some content types that you can capture with NCapture can't be imported into your project, this may depend on the version of the Operating System you are using.
There are two options for installing NCapture:
- install on your computer as part of the installation of NVivo (Version 10 or later, or
- download the NCapture browser extension from the web. Download NCapture for Internet Explorer or go to NCapture for Chrome.
After you install, the NCapture icon will be visible on the command bar at the top of your Internet Explorer window or the browser toolbar at the top of your Chrome window.