First time enrolment

Congratulations on your offer, and welcome to Victoria University (VU)!

When enrolling at VU for the first time, we will send you an email containing your student ID number and important enrolment advice.

Check this email carefully and follow the instructions to make your enrolment as easy as possible!

Studying a TAFE course or at our Sydney campus? Your enrolment will vary slightly. See information for:

What to prepare

Student ID number

Have your ID number with you when you start your enrolment, available in the email we send you before you enrol.

Proof of citizenship

You need to present proof of your citizenship status at your nearest VUHQ.

We will accept an original or certified copy of your:

  • Birth Certificate (and Marriage Certificate where a name has changed because of marriage),
  • Certificate of Australian Citizenship / Permanent Residency (Australian residents only), or
  • current Passport.

Please note that if your proof of citizenship does not include a date of birth, you will need to also present a current driver's licence or a proof of age card.

Commonwealth assistance (HELP) request forms & TFN

If you are enrolling in a Commonwealth Supported place, and want to defer your fees, you will need to complete and submit the:

  • appropriate HELP request form to cover tuition fees (HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP), and
  • SA-HELP assistance form for the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF); this is optional - the SSAF can be paid up-front before Census.

If you are eligible and have opted to defer payment of your tuition fees, your enrolment will be cancelled if you fail to submit your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP request form before Census date.

The forms can be completed online as part of your enrolment. You will need to have an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) ready to complete the application. If you do not have a TFN, apply for one through the Australian Taxation Office.

If you are a sponsored student, you will need to complete and submit a signed Sponsor Agreement Form when you enrol.

Application for unit credits

If you want to apply for credit for prior study, skills or experience (and have not done so already when applying for you course), you need to submit the application form when you enrol.

You can discuss your application with an academic staff member at your academic advice session.

If the units you want credited are pre-requisites to other units, you will not be able to enrol in the subsequent units until the credit has been approved and transferred. You need to:

  • enrol in the standard set of first-year units for your course
  • submit your application for credits
  • wait for it to be processed (you will be notified of the outcome)
  • update your enrolment online once approved.

Unique Student Identifier - Vocational Education (VE) students

All VE students are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) before enrolling in nationally recognised training in Australia.

Apply for a USI.

Bring this number with you when you enrol to study at VU. You won't be able to enrol without it.

International students

Your first step in enrolling is to attend your international orientation & enrolment session.

Sessions are based on your course study level:

You need to register for your session, and must attend in person

Following orientation, you will then be able to:

  • attend your academic advice session
  • complete your enrolment online.

Step 1: Attend your academic advice session

Academic advice sessions are your opportunity to get advice about which units to enrol in. This may involve a large group presentation, or an opportunity to meet individually with your Course & Unit Administrator.

If your course has an academic advice session, we strongly encourage you to attend (date, time and venue specified in your offer letter). Arrive on time, and allow 3-4 hours for the whole process if you opt to enrol while on campus.

Find your Academic Advice Session.

If you have missed your session, consult your course delivery plan to help you enrol in the correct units (we can put you in touch with your Course & Unit Administrator for advice if you are still unsure).

International students: When you complete your enrolment, you must enrol in a full time load. Higher education students need to enrol in units that add up to 48 credit points per semester. VE/TAFE certificate, diploma or advanced diploma students need to enrol in a full-time load as specified by your academic adviser.

Step 2: Enrol online

When you are ready, you can complete your enrolment online.

Enrol online now via MYVU Portal (Required browser: Google Chrome)

Need help?

Step 3: Confirm your personal details

It is your responsibility to ensure that your personal and enrolment details are correct and up to date. You can make updates to your details online through MYVU Portal.

Make sure you answer all of the statistical questions, even if the information has previously been supplied, as we are required to report this data to Government. Information is collected in accordance with the VU Privacy Policy.

International students: As a condition of your student visa, you must notify us of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. You must also notify us of any change in your residential address within 7 days of the change by updating your details through MYVU Portal.

Step 4: Pay your fees

Once you have completed your enrolment you should check your Statement of Account (invoice) via the MYVU Portal, to ensure that your course, units and all personal details are correct. Contact us if you find an error.

You must pay your fees by the due date on your Statement of Account (unless you are deferring fee payment through HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP (domestic students only)).

If you do not pay all fees due, your enrolment may be cancelled and you will lose your place.

If you wish to defer your fees but have not completed the appropriate HELP form(s) or supplied your tax file number at enrolment, ensure you complete the form at VUHQ before Census date.

Learn more about course fees.

After you enrol

There are a few things you need to do before you start studying. Check out our handy tips and resources to help you get started at VU.

Changing your enrolment

You can change your enrolment anytime by adding or removing units (without financial or academic penalty) before Friday of week 3 each semester (this is known as the administrative census date for timely amendments).

You can also discontinue units (or your course entirely) without penalty up until the Census date. If you discontinue after Census, you are still liable for the fees and may face academic penalties.

Contact us

ASKVU Find answers and ask questions

Phone: +61 3 9919 6100

Visit: VUHQ (Student Service Centre)