To change your name close to your graduation date, contact us within 7 days, or as soon as practicable. This will ensure that all academic records and transcripts are updated in time for graduation.
To change your name, we will accept certified copies or originals of the following documents:
- birth certificate (with change of name details)
- citizenship certificate (with change of name details)
- change of name certificate
- deed-poll document
- marriage or registered relationship certificate* (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages)
- divorce decree/revocation of registered relationship
- death certificate of spouse or adult partner of a registered relationship
- court order directing child's change of name.
*Please note that certificates issued on the day of a wedding, known as commemorative certificates, are not sufficient. Certificates must be issued by Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.
We are working to improve applications and enrolments to include chosen name details including:
- chosen last name
- affirmed gender
Although legal verification requires you to use the name stated on your legal documentation, we can addressed by your chosen name(s) while studying with us.
Visit our chosen name, pronouns and gender page for more information.
Supporting our diverse community
Victoria University is committed to Progressive Inclusivity as a core people strategy.
This means we care and we act.
We recognise the importance of using a name and pronouns that affirm student and staff gender.
If you are a trans/gender-diverse student, escaping domestic violence or belong to culturally or linguistically diverse background and facing issues due to change in names, we encourage you to get in touch to seek support.