Our elite athlete program helps you successfully complete your studies while training and competing at an elite level.
We recognise the challenges of combining elite sport with an academic workload and provide the support you need to be successful on and off the field.
Our student athletes have competed at major local and international events, including the World University Games, the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics.
Our elite athletes
We have around 90 elite student athletes, many of whom have competed at the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, World University Games and World Championship events.
Meet some of our elite athletes:
Water skier Jacinta is the current U-21 women's world jump and overall champion, and holds the world record in jump. She is VU's 2013 Female Sports Person of the Year.
Josh, a Full Blue award recipient, is a Gold medalist from the 2012 London Paralympics.
Bulldogs player Mitch Wallis is able to balance study and his sporting career through VU's student athlete program.
Malaysia-born Olympian Renuga Veeran lives the dream with elite athlete friendly support.
Support for elite student athletes
We recognise the challenges of combining elite sport with an academic workload which is why VU is a member of the Australian Sports Commission's Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) Network. Our athlete support program aims to help you balance study with your training and competition demands, by providing you with access to support and special study arrangements. Special arrangements can include:
- alternative exams
- assessment deadline negotiations
- timetabling assistance
- cross-institutional study assistance.
The generous support provided by our Elite Athlete Support Program and scholarships has made it possible for many students to balance study, training and life.
"Training for Ironman Triathlon is time-consuming and expensive - but VU's support has allowed me to chase my sporting dreams whilst continuing my Bachelor of Laws without stress.
It is an invaluable program and creates long-lasting bonds between student and university."
Leaders in sport
As a leader in sport education, at Victoria University we can offer the largest number of sport-related courses in Australia, spanning all areas of sport, exercise science and active living.
With more than 40 sport-related programs at vocational education, undergraduate and postgraduate levels we can help you achieve your goals.
Elite students can take advantage of our $68 million Sport and Learning Precinct at Footscray Park Campus which boasts the latest technology and sport & fitness equipment.
ATAR bonus for high performance sport participants
Current Year 12 students can receive a bonus of 5 ATAR points if they:
- apply to study an undergraduate course in the College of Sport and Exercise Science
- participate in high level sport (players, coaches and officials).
To be eligible for the high performance sport bonus the applicant must be involved in an Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised sport. They must also meet one of the categories below:
- recognised by the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS) or professional player's association
- a member of a national senior squad from a Performance Excellence (PE) support sport
- in a state or national level squad in open or age level competition
- in a state or national level development squad
- a coach or referee within state, national or international level competitions.
Apply for the ATAR bonus
- Complete the High Performance Sport Bonus application form
- Supply evidence of your high performance sporting involvement (e.g. documents, references or certificates)
- Email your application to email@example.com by 2 December 2016.
We have three sport scholarships available to current students:
Our sport scholarships and elite athlete support program assist outstanding VU athletes to balance their studies with the demands of elite level sport and to assist emerging student athletes in their aim to perform at the elite sporting level.
Sport Scholarships assist student athletes with financial and in kind support with respect to competition and training fees, international travel and University representation, as well as access to fitness centres and health clinics.
If you would like to support the scholarships program, you can make an online donation today.
We note that in order to be recognised as an elite student athlete, and receive special support, you must be a member of at least one of these sporting organisations or teams:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players' Association
- Australian Cricketers' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- Rugby League Professionals' Association
- Australian Professional Footballers' Association
- State or National squad and league members from Australian Sports Commission (ASC) supported sports (including athletes who have qualified for national championships).
Apply for the elite student athlete program
To be recognised as one of our elite student athletes, please take the following steps:
1. Complete an Elite Athlete Support application form
Applications must include supporting documentation from a relevant state or national sporting organisation, or an endorsement from an Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) member. You will automatically be considered for available Sport Scholarship support.
2. Meet with the University's Elite Athlete Contact Officer
Once recognised as an elite athlete, make an appointment with Elite Athlete Contact Officer, Scott Cashmere: VU Sport Office, Room L011, building L, Level 0 Footscray Park campus. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone: +61 3 9919 4433.
3. Identify any potential clashes with your study and your sporting commitments
Read each of your course unit outlines carefully; speak with your coaches and/or institute ACE Advisors about existing and upcoming (including potential) sporting commitments.
4. Meet with your course coordinator to introduce yourself and to communicate any potential study and sporting clashes
Introduce yourself to lecturers, tutors and teachers. Be proactive and identify any academic and sporting clashes for the semester. Potential clashes must be identified in advance. Special study arrangements may not be possible after the event.
Sport Services Manager
Phone: +61 3 9919 4433