All teacher education courses in VU's College of Arts & Education include professional experience and supervised teaching practice in schools.
Other courses in the College of Arts & Education, such as early childhood, youth work and TESOL courses, also involve placements in professional settings.
In 'Education professional experience':
Courses with professional placement
Students who are pre-service teachers are required to successfully complete placement in a professional setting as part of their course.
This includes pre-service teachers in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (P-12)
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood/Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary Education)
- Master of TESOL.
Assessment of professional experience
Teacher Education courses are accredited against the AITSL- Australian National Professional Standards for Teachers by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT). Students must meet all of the standards, including the professional experience requirements, before they can register as a teacher with the VIT.
For further information regarding Teacher Registration in Victoria, visit the VIT website.
Professional experience opportunities
Every year the College of Arts & Education offers a range of options for professional experience (including, but not limited to, the below list). Pre-service teachers, if eligible, may express an interest in the following programs:
- Country Partnership Program (CPP) - teaching in rural and remote schools
- Story Writing in remote Locations (SWIRL) - teaching in remote areas in the Northern Territory
- International placement in Asian countries, including: Malaysia, China, Timor Leste and more
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) - Professional Development and mentoring school students in relation to the AVID Program
- Bulldogs Friendly Schools Program - working with primary school students in sport, wellness and leadership initiatives that are explicitly linked to the students’ learning
- Essendon Football Club - working with the Essendon Football Club on a football/literacy project
- Gallery Sunshine - working on projects related to the creative arts in a gallery
- Sports Education & Development Australia (SEDA) - working with young people on literacy and a sporting interest.
Project Partnerships is an innovative approach which focuses on collaborative partnerships between the College of Arts & Education at Victoria University and early childhood, primary and secondary schools/sites throughout Victoria.
The key focus of Project Partnerships is enhancing the learning of school/site students in these partnership settings and supporting pre-service teacher and teacher education. This involves pre-service teachers working on an agreed ‘Applied Curriculum Project’ while in a school/setting which is developed to improve the learning outcomes of all students, or a targeted group of students, at the setting. Some of our teacher education courses may utilise an alternative approach due to course or setting requirements.
Victoria University has over 900 partnerships with a broad range of settings across Victoria including:
- child care centres
- pre-school centres
- primary schools
- secondary schools
- alternative or special schools
- community organisations.
Current Education students & partners
If you are a current Education student or a partner school/centre with VU students doing professional experience with you, you can access our Project Partnerships website for all professional experience/project partnership documentation.
For more information about professional experience placements and partnerships within the College of Arts & Education, please contact: