Financial advice

If you are having a hard time financially we have professional staff who can provide you with financial advice and assistance with study and living costs.

General budget help

By doing your budget you will be able to understand your spending habits and support living well.

Budget Your Money is a Government website budget calculator that helps check:

  • where your money is going
  • if you are spending more than you can afford
  • that your money is going towards your priorities.

This electronic budget is ideal as it allows you to enter weekly, fortnightly, monthly and annual expenses without the need to convert.

Estimate your cost of living in Melbourne with our guide to everyday expenses or check out our cost of living estimates for international students

Environment Victoria and the Department of Industry and Science have some terrific information in relation to reducing your living costs and ecological footprint. Download the 'Victorian Green Renters Guide: Sustainable Living Tips for Renters'.

Financial education - Blackbullion

Blackbullion is a financial education program that teaches you how to budget and manage your money more effectively. It includes a range of interactive modules and resources that you can work through at your own pace.

If you don’t have an account, register now using your student email address and password. If you do have an account, log in to explore the modules and resources. There are clear instructions within the program to help you save your place and test your knowledge.

Accommodation & your finances

Our staff can help with rental advice to help you rental advice that can help you work out budgets for living while studying.

It's important to factor in rental costs for accommodation in Melbourne. Our handy table allows you compare weekly rental prices in various locations close to our campuses.

Transport & parking costs

Don't forget to consider the cost of getting to uni, whether it's via public transport, using your own car, or even riding in.

We have some information about transport and parking options for getting to campus. 

International students can use a special discounted public transport myki pass - it's called the iUSEpass.

More information about this and other forms of public transport, including trams, trains and buses. 

Loans, scholarships and other financial help

Low Income Health Care Card

Low Income Health Card - this card provides concessions for health care, public transport and living costs eg. gas, electricity and water. It is issued to students who receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy. If you are not eligible for one of these payments you can still apply for a Low Income Health Care Card if you are:

  • an Australian resident
  • receiving NO or low income (less than $4008 over 8 weeks) immediately prior to your application.

To apply you will need to:

Trade Support Loans (Australian Apprentices)

Australian Apprentices Trade Support Loans Programme - The Australian Government provides eligible Australian Apprentices access to its Trade Support Loans Programme; the loans are paid in instalments totalling up to $20,000 over four years. These loans are intended to assist apprentices with everyday costs while they complete their apprenticeship.


Scholarships – Victoria University has a range of scholarships to assist Higher Education and TAFE students with their living and education costs. If you are studying Higher Education and receive Youth Allowance, Austudy, or Abstudy, you may also be eligible for a Start-Up Scholarship and a Relocation Scholarship.

Centrelink Advance Payment

Centrelink Advance Payment - can be used to assist with living and study costs. If you receive Centrelink payments (including Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy, Sole Parent Payment and Disability Support Pension) you are eligible to apply for a Centrelink Advance Payment.

Student Loans

Student Loan - up to $500 interest free is available as a last resource. Strict conditions apply. Make an appointment with a Senior Advisor or visit a Student Service Centre.

Tax return advice

A free Tax Help Service will operate from 25 July to 31 October 2017. An ATO-trained volunteer will provide you with one-to-one assistance and support to complete your tax return online.

This service operates from the Footscray Nicholson St campus.

To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:

  • enrolled VU student
  • earned $50,000 or less in the last financial year
  • not received income from operating your own business in the last financial year.

Make an appointment for tax help.

Make an appointment with a Senior Advisor

For personalised support, you can make an appointment with a Senior Advisor for assistance with issues which are impacting your studies. These include finances, housing, welfare, Centrelink and other issues.

Contact us

If you would like free and confidential support and assistance to help you develop practical skills to better manage your money, contact Welfare services.

Make a finance/welfare/international enquiry online.

ASKVU Find answers and ask questionsPhone: +61 3 9919 6100