MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment for numerical computation, visualisation, and programming.
You can analyse data, develop algorithms, and create models and applications with MATLAB. The language, tools, and built-in math functions enable you to explore multiple approaches and reach a solution faster than with spreadsheets or traditional programming languages, such as C/C++ or Java.
You can use MATLAB for a range of applications, including:
- signal processing and communications
- image and video processing
- control systems
- test and measurement
- computational finance
- computational biology.
More than a million engineers and scientists in industry and academia use MATLAB, the language of technical computing.
How to get Matlab software
Victoria University offers a Campus-Wide License to MATLAB, Simulink, and companion toolboxes.
Students are covered by the Campus-Wide License and can install software on their home or laptop computers.
- Go to to download the software.
- Click ‘Sign in to get started’ in the Download MATLAB box.
- You will be asked to create a MathWorks Account. Once you do that, you will be associated to our MATLAB license and will be able to:
- Download and activate software on your personal computer
- Start using MATLAB Online from a web browser.