Students who study at a university, TAFE, or another nationally recognised training organisation, need a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes all VU students.

Without a USI, you cannot receive Commonwealth financial assistance or your qualification or statement of attainment.

Why you need a USI

A USI is your individual education number. You keep this number for life and will use it for all of your higher education or training, at any university, TAFE or other nationally registered training organisation in Australia.

Your USI identifies you as a student who has undertaken vocational education and training (VET) and/or higher education studies. It also creates an online record of your Australian training achievements in the form of a USI Transcript. It is also used to connect your student loan information to your personal details.

You can log in and check or update your details at any time. For more information, view the USI government website.

New students

From 1 January 2021, new higher education students will need a USI in order to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) and Commonwealth financial assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or OS-HELP).

Students should obtain a USI (or locate their existing USI) and provide it to their education provider before the first census date.

Current students

From 1 January 2023 all higher education students (Australian residents and international students), including those who commenced prior to 2021, must have a USI in order to graduate and receive their award.

Apply for a USI

Applying for a USI is fast and free, and you keep the same USI for life.

Apply for your USI

If you have studied a VET course in the last five years, you will have an existing USI. Find your USI online, don't apply for a new one.

Make sure that the details you provide to VU (such as your full name and date of birth) match the details you use to create your USI. Please use your legal name as it appears on your passport or other official identification.

If you are an international student, you cannot apply for a USI while you are overseas, but can apply once you have arrived in Australia. Enrolment without a USI is enabled on MYVU for international students.

Identification requirements

You need one form of identification to create a USI.

Acceptable forms of identification:

  • Australian passport
  • non-Australian passport (with Australian visa)
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian driver’s licence
  • Medicare card
  • certificate of registration by descent
  • Centrelink concession card
  • citizenship certificate
  • ImmiCard.

Provide your USI

New students

If you are applying for a higher education course commencing in 2021, you will be asked to provide a USI at the application and admission stage. If you do not have a USI prior to enrolling, you must provide it as part of the online enrolment process.

You will not be able to finalise your enrolment without a valid USI.

View the USI verification and error management guide.

Current students

Continuing students can submit the USI in the My Personal Details section via Student Connect. Alternatively, login to MyVU and click on the USI Verification tile.

View the USI verification and error management guide.