Footscray Park Library is showcasing the works and achievements of women associated with Victoria University.
‘Celebrating Women in Special Collections, Print and Sport’ draws on our special collections, work by VU academics, and books and articles by and about notable women. The display complements the current MetroWest exhibition Her Place: Women in the West, where items from our Crow Collection are exhibited.
On exhibition are items from several Special Collections, including the Regional Archive of the Victoria University Library which preserves the records of individuals and organisations from Melbourne’s west.
VU’s Special Collections support our key research areas, and are worth a look. Artists and writers find inspiration in our rare and valuable books, journals, and unpublished social and historical documents. Prominent local artist Emily Floyd used the collection to inform her exhibition The Dawn.
We are proud to display books and refereed articles by women on the VU academic staff too. These cover the arts, education, health, science and more.
We also pay tribute to women’s contribution to sport with recent VU-authored sport articles in The Conversation and books about women in sport. These celebrate top Australian athletes such as Cathy Freeman, and our partnership and connections with groups including:
The range of material on display is just a sample of what VU Library curates in the Special Collections, what is available in the general collection, and book publishing we assist.
Works on display
Two display cabinets near Reserve/Hold Room, level 2, Building P, showcase books and articles by women or about women, including:
- the Union of Australian Women’s National Bulletin (1989) from the regional archive’s Papers of the Union of Australian Women 1950-2005
- Melodies and Memories by Dame Nellie Melba
- The Other Half - Poems by Judith Wright
- Nothing to Spare: Recollections of Australian Pioneering Women by Jan Carter.
Works by VU academics
Victoria University staff whose book and bio are included in the display (located near the lift, opposite the stairs) include:
- Dr Mary Weaven (arts and education)
- Professor Maureen Ryan (arts and education)
- Professor Nicola Yelland (arts and education)
- Dr Karina Smith (arts and education)
- Dr Anna Branford (arts and education)
- Dr Nicole Oke (arts and education)
- Dr Leanne White (business and tourism)
- Dr Joanne Pyke (business and tourism)
- Dr Jennifer O’Reilly (law and justice)
- Associate Professor Julie White (law and justice)
- Associate Professor Caroline Symons (sport and exercise)
- Associate Professor Clare Hanlon (sport and exercise)
- Associate Professor Liza Heslop (health)
- Professor Marty Grace (youth homelessness)
- Dr Kylie Fitzgerald (health and biomedicine)
- Grace Tan (engineering and science)
- Associate Professor Juan Shi (engineering and science)
- Associate Professor Pazit Levinger (sport and exercise science)
- Dr Erika Borkoles (sport and exercise science)
You'll also see the following sport-related titles: