Professor, College of Arts & Education
Maureen Ryan is a Professor in the College of Arts & Education at Victoria University and Director, Gallery Sunshine Everywhere. Maureen is committed to collaborative and community focussed teaching and research. In her work she continues to explore:
- the relationships between education and community
- the partnerships possible
- the skills and understanding that people working to create and build partnerships need
- the particular ways in which arts and activity based projects can enable these things to happen.
Maureen is an experienced teacher and educator who has undertaken many leadership roles within Victoria University and externally. She is a life member of the Footscray Community Arts Centre where she served on the Board for many years and of the Australian Teacher Education Association where she is a former President.
Currently, Maureen supervises many higher degree students and has in 2012 and 2013 been acknowledged in Victoria University’s Vice Chancellor’s awards and in Office for Learning and Teaching citations for this work. Maureen is also leading an Office for Learning and Teaching project, Learning and Teaching in Public Spaces across three states which focuses on partnerships between universities and museums.
In addition, Maureen has recently completed a report for the National Education and Employment Foundation about the Steve Bracks’ Timor-Leste Governance Project.
- Discipline Group Leader: Learning in, through and beyond the Workplace, College of Arts & Education
Areas of expertise
- Arts in community
- Community engagement
- Higher degree supervision
- Qualitative research