In a first for the West of Melbourne, Skills and Jobs for Melbourne’s West will map urban skills and investigate the future jobs needs of employers in three target industry sectors – infrastructure, digital economy and social services and care. The project will give employers insights to develop a future skilled workforce to enable the growth of their businesses. Education and training providers will obtain a detailed understanding of employer needs, enabling the refinement of their offerings.
Key research questions about Melbourne's West to be addressed in the project are:
- How has the pandemic disproportionately impacted the labour force?
- What has been the impact on existing industry/workforce/training issues?
- What are the challenges for employers and industry in understanding skills and training?
This research will:
- model the future outlook for skills and jobs, and the linkages between the two
- listen to and engage with employers and industry
- create engagement that matches employer skills need and the skills people have and want to develop
- identify training and employment support opportunities
- understand how work - based learning can support effective settings for economic growth.