Fee assistance & advice

If you have doubts about whether or not you would be able to cover the cost of study, there are many ways we can help.

We offer a wide range of assistance, referrals and advice to help you manage your finances while studying.

Extended payment deadlines

If you are unable to pay your fees by the due date, we have a few options that give you extra time to make any required payments toward your study.

  • Eligible students may be able to request a fee extension, especially if you are experiencing financial hardship or other difficulties (such as medical, family/personal, employment or course-related).
  • Eligible TAFE students may also be able to pay their Student Services & Amenities fee in instalments with our Payment Plan Option.

HELP loans

The Government administers the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) which consists of five HELP loan schemes to assist you with paying your tuition fees. The right loan for you will depend on your circumstances, eligibility and where you want to study.

The types of loans you may be able to access depend on whether or not you are a Commonwealth supported student or a full-fee paying student. New Zealand citizens - who hold a Special Category Visa - may also be able to access a HELP loan.

Additional funds

  • A student loan may help you with the cost of purchasing books, computers & course related materials.
  • Consider applying for a scholarship. We offer a wide range of scholarships across all levels of study, to help with education and living costs.
  • Full-time students or Australian Apprentices may be eligible for student income support payments (administered by the Department of Human Services), including Youth Allowance, Austudy, and ABSTUDY.

Advice on managing the cost of study

If you would like to talk to someone about managing the cost of studying at university, get in touch with our Student Advisors. They provide free and confidential advice to students experiencing difficulties of a financial, study or personal matter.

Contact us

Ask questions & find answers through Ask VU.

Phone: +61 3 9919 6100Visit: Student Service Centre