Hire or place a student
Join us in providing students with valuable workplace learning, through an arrangement that best suits you.
In 'Hire or place a student':
Mentor a studentContribute to the development and success of an emerging professional with your career and industry knowledge.
Register a placement or projectHelp our students grow with a Learning in the Workplace and Community opportunity. Placements allow students to learn in business, government or community organisations.
On this page
Recruit a graduate or advertise jobs for students
Work Integrated Learning (WIL)
You can engage our current students for WIL in a variety of ways:
- practical placements - structured workplace learning practical placements that prepare students for the workplace in particular discipline areas. These placements help students take classroom learnings and put them into practice in a workplace setting, eg. nursing practical placements in hospitals or clinics.
- industry or community organisation projects - individuals and groups of students undertake projects on behalf of organisations, eg. developing a database
- cooperative education - students are employed full-time by organisations to undertake work tasks or projects, eg. a junior accountant
- internships- students undertake short-term placements with an organisation to work on activities related to their course, eg. recreation student developing programs for a local municipality.
Complete the Register a placement or project form to find out which model of workplace learning will best suit your organisational needs and circumstances.
Student jobs and placements gives details on how individual Colleges engage with industry and community for Work Integrated Learning.
Benefits to industry and community organisations
Students can bring many benefits to your organisation, including:
- access to enthusiastic and skilled students with latest knowledge and fresh perspectives
- a preview of possible future employees
- enhanced relationships with the university community.
What employers are saying
Managing Director, Flexible Drive Agencies:
"We have endeavoured to align ourselves with educational institutions over many years but have been somewhat frustrated by the divide between industry and these facilities. We are fortunate that we have met people at VU who have made it far easier to close that gap. For FDA, I would say we have experienced a great benefit in facilitating two project teams from the University. The students have been keen to fulfil the tasks assigned and our people have also benefited from the interaction."
What students are saying
We receive a lot of positive feedback from our students after they've been on a placement.
Mentor a student
When you mentor a student, you contribute to the development and success of an emerging professional by sharing your career and industry knowledge.
Career Development and Employment
phone: +61 3 9919 9432