The contribution of international students to university life has been recognised at the Victoria University Student Leadership Awards 2019.
The awards were presented by Mr George Pappas AO, the Chancellor of VU, and Professor Peter Dawkins, the Vice-Chancellor, who applauded the students for their commitment to helping others.
Bronte Neyland, the Director of Victoria University International, says the contribution made by international students reflects their strong and active engagement in the VU community and their appreciation of the opportunity to gain new skills.
“The activities available at VU support international students in their transition to Australian university life and give them life-long skills. Activities such as VU Vollies and Student Mentoring provide students with invaluable skills that will assist them beyond their studies.”
Among the awards presented at the ceremony in October was the prestigious $5000 Raj Kannan Leadership Scholarship, which was won by engineering student Cheuk Yin (Nardo) Wai.
The judging panel noted Nardo’s involvement in a wide range of activities, from volunteering and student leadership programs, to promoting science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) events to high school students and supporting the promotion of diversity at VU.
Nardo was also the recipient of the International Student Award and was highly commended for the VU Spirit Award.
“These awards have strengthened my belief in the VU values of equality, inclusivity and cultural diversity,” says Nardo. “In my first year, I joined the VU Vollies program. As I participated more, I found more people who inspired me and supported me. They gave me a sense of belonging which drove me to become involved in more and more activities.”
The Student Leadership Awards were organised and hosted by Student Life & Leadership. The winners of the other major categories are:
- VU Students as Staff – Charlene McKay
- VU Spirit Award – Sasha Anne Suman
- Postgraduate Student Award – Cynthia Thomaz
- Victoria University Polytechnic Award – Meredith Hunt
- VU Vollies Award – Ashfaq Lukman
- VUSU-teer of the Year Award – Emma Whitbread
- Moondani Balluk Aboriginal Student Award – Shane I’Anson
- Best Club Promotion 2019 – VU Indonesian Students Association
- Best New Club – VU Indian Club
- Club of the Year – VU Afro Society
- VU Innovation Award – Dominate Over Maths
- Outstanding Student – Holly Walker and Naz Besavend.