Mr Raj Kannan is one of Victoria University’s distinguished 90 Legends.
He graduated from Footscray Institute of Technology (FIT) in 1988 with a Bachelor of Engineering. He is currently Partner and Executive Director, Deloitte Consulting South East Asia. He was President of the Overseas Student Association and Co-President of the Student Representative Council and involved in other student leadership activities.
Mr Kannan believes that the leadership experience he gained at FIT was invaluable to his later career and as such he is passionate about giving back to the University.
As a result Mr Kannan has established a scholarship that will support and encourage students to undertake leadership activities at VU. This prestigious award comes with a prize in the form of a $5,000 scholarship.
Additional eligibility criteria
- Must be an undergraduate student enrolled at Victoria University and not in the final year of study.
- Must have participated in at least one VU Leadership Activity (e.g. LEAD Program, Students as Partners, Clubs Executive, VU Academy, VU Hanger, VU Student Union Board Member etc.).
- High-level leadership experience: give examples of how you have demonstrated leadership that has benefited your fellow students and the VU community.
- Championing social inclusion: give examples of participation in causes or activities that champion social inclusion, cultural diversity, and equity.
- Leadership skills: describe how you are taking responsibility for developing your leadership skills. Please give examples.
- Using your scholarship: give examples of how you would use this scholarship to further your leadership and professional development or to further your education.
- Support from the VU community: provide 2 supporting testimonials from mentors or peers to demonstrate why you are deserving of this award.
The recipient will be required to provide a report to the Scholarships office for VU and the donor showcasing their activities and impact of receiving the award.
The recipient will be required to sit on the Selection Panel to determine the Raj Kannan Leadership Scholarship recipient for the following year.
The recipient will also have the opportunity to participate in the Student Leadership Awards ceremony as a presenter or student host.