Have you been offered a place but are not yet ready to study? You may wish to delay your start date.

Taking time off before your course has started is known as deferment. You may defer your course for a number of reasons, including work, travel or personal matters. Higher Education students may be granted deferment for up to 12 months.

How to defer

You must defer prior to enrolment – do not enrol.

deferment application (A83) must be completed and presented (with any supporting documentation):

  • in person at a VUHQ (Student Service Centre)
  • as an attachment via chat or enquiry channels.

We will acknowledge all applications for deferral. You will be sent a letter informing you that the deferment has been approved.

We will get in touch with you to enrol before the expiry of the deferment period.

Please note: You can no longer defer after you have enrolled into the course. You will need to apply for an intermission (leave of absence) before census date.

For more details on Victoria University's admission policies and procedures, please refer to the following:

How long you can take

Victoria University may grant deferment for all commencing local students in Higher Education courses up to a maximum of 12 months.

While this is a guaranteed deferment from the University, the course you applied to study may not necessarily be available when you wish to return. For example, deferral for courses without a mid-year intake must be for 12 months.

Deferral may also not be possible for courses that are being taught out, and will no longer take new students. We will negotiate alternative study options with you should this occur.

International onshore students need to contact VU International.

Please note: No deferments are allowed for TAFE (VU Polytechnic) courses.

Contact us

If you have any questions about deferring study, contact us for assistance.