Using other libraries

If you are not able to find particular items within the VU Library, you can try to obtain these items from other libraries. CAVAL is available to all students and staff.

The document request service is another way that staff and eligible students can obtain material not available at the VU library.


CAVAL reciprocal borrowing

CAVAL is a reciprocal borrowing program that allows you to borrow items from other Victorian libraries. See CAVAL service update.

To obtain a CAVAL card, present your current student or staff ID to your nearest campus library Loans Desk.

As a CAVAL borrower it is your responsibility to make yourself familiar with the conditions of loan, rules and regulations at each of the libraries from which you borrow.

TAFE National Reciprocal Borrowing Scheme

The TAFE Libraries National Reciprocal Borrowing Scheme allows students and staff of participating TAFE libraries to register and borrow materials in person from any other participating host TAFE library in any other state.

The scheme assists students and staff who may be enrolled with or employed by a TAFE institution in one state but who find it more convenient to access TAFE library services in another state. The reciprocal borrowing arrangements between TAFE libraries within a state are not covered by this scheme.

Information on the scheme and participating TAFE libraries by State is available at the Australian Library and Information Association website.

University Libraries of Australia & New Zealand (ULANZ) borrowing scheme

ULANZ allows current students and staff of Australian and New Zealand universities to borrow in person from any other participating university library.

The scheme is a cooperative arrangement between the Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL) and Council of New Zealand University Librarians (CONZUL).

Registration for VU students & staff

VU students and staff can register directly at participating university libraries. You will need to provide photo ID as well as proof of current enrolment/employment from VU. Check the hosting library for conditions of library membership and use.

Registration with VU Library

Students and staff from participating Australian and New Zealand universities can register with VU Library for free. To register, you will need to attend a VU campus library, provide photo ID and proof of your current enrolment/employment from your home university. If your registration needs to be verified, it may take up to two working days to process.

As a ULANZ member, you may borrow most print items at any of our campus libraries, use eduroam WiFi when on campus, and get assistance from our library staff.

Search other libraries