LEAD: Learn. Evolve. Aspire. Develop.
The LEAD program is a free, interactive and engaging leadership training program for current students. It is designed to help you become a more effective leader, build important workplace skills and boost your employability through a combination of workshops, activities and online modules that you can complete over the course of your studies.
Once you have completed the requirements, the LEAD Program will be included on your VU Extra Transcript.
What will I learn?
The LEAD program focuses on:
- developing your self-understanding
- personal goal setting
- listening, connecting and communicating
- negotiating and networking
- team roles and dynamics
- leadership styles
- practising your skills in the community.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
The first part of your LEAD Program journey is introductory workshop LEAD - Your Leadership Journey (a compulsory 3.5 hour workshop). You will learn about different styles of leadership, the importance of communication, how to effectively plan to achieve goals and how to successfully lead yourself and others.
You will also need to complete the online Respect & Responsibility training (approximately 1 hour).
The rest of the program can be completed over the course of your studies and includes a range of workshops and activities that you can choose from based on your leadership goals.
VU Extra Transcript
- attending the introductory workshop LEAD: Your Leadership Journey
- completing the online Bystander Awareness and Action module
- earning 30 Leadership Points (LP) in the Leadership workshops section
- earning 30 Leadership Points (LP) in the Leadership activities section.
If you would like to continue to develop your leadership skills, you can continue to earn Leadership Points by completing additional workshops and activities.
Earn 30 points (or more) by attending a combination of the following:
- LEAD workshop: Communication for leaders (10 LP)
- LEAD workshop: Working with teams (10 LP)
- LEAD workshop: Introduction to conflict management (10 LP)
- LEAD workshop: The emotionally intelligent leader (10 LP)
- LEAD workshop: Feedback to move forward (10 LP)
- skill development workshop: Digital citizenship Level 1 (5 LP)
- skill development workshop: Great presentations (5 LP).
Earn 30 points (or more) through skill-building activities such as:
- (10 LP)
- serving as a VU Club or Society Executive (30 LP)
- (1 LP per hour)
- completing an eligible student-led project (30 LP)
- attending (2 LP each)
- completing an accredited Mental Health First Aid training program (10 LP)
- serving as a – Unisport Nationals (30 LP).
To have the LEAD Program recognised on your VU Extra Transcript in time for graduation, make sure you submit your evidence of completion by the following dates:
- March graduation: 31 January 2024
- September graduation: 31 July 2024