Victoria University's Student Complaints Policy provides for the fair and prompt handling of student complaints in a manner that's consistent with the University's values.

Our process encourages students to be independent and effective problem solvers. We encourage you to try to resolve your concern informally before lodging a complaint.

Types of complaints

Complaints under the Student Complaints Policy may relate to:

  • the performance of administrative, academic, teaching, research or service functions of the University;
  • any third party involved in the delivery of services on behalf of the University, if the complaint is in regards to the delivery of those services; or
  • the behaviour or actions of another student of the University.


Student complaint process

Try to resolve the concern yourself informally, using the three-step process detailed below:

Step 1 - Identify your concern & a possible solution

We encourage students to try and resolve concerns informally, if reasonable to do so, before making a complaint through the Integrity Office.

Step 2 - Seek assistance

As a student, you have access to free and confidential support services to assist you:

Step 3 - Initiate action

Liaise with the relevant area directly. For example if your concern is about a specific unit of study, an assessment grade and/or feedback, contact the academic who teaches the unit or the course coordinator, as outlined in the Assessment for Learning - Review of Individual Assessment Outcomes Procedure.

If you're a higher degree by research student and your concern relates to your academic studies, speak to your research supervisor/s or contact the Graduate Research School.

If your concern is about the actions or behaviour of another student or staff member, try to speak to this person directly and explain how you feel about their actions or behaviour. If the concerning behaviour could be discrimination, sexual harassment or bullying, contact Safer Community.

Lodging a formal complaint via the integrity office

If you haven't been able to reach a resolution following the three-step process above, then you can lodge a formal complaint with the Integrity Office via completing the online complaint form. If you have difficulties accessing the online complaint form and need assistance with lodging a complaint please contact the integrity office on +61 3 9919 5007.

Provide evidence/supporting documents in support of your complaint, where this is relevant.

  • Provide details of your complaint.
  • Explain why you’ve referred the matter to the Integrity Office, detailing what steps you’ve taken to resolve the issue informally and/or why it may not be appropriate to resolve your concerns informally. You are not expected to resolve serious matters or issues informally, such as concerns relating to harassment and/or discrimination. The Integrity Office will always provide you with appropriate support to resolve serious issues or matters that are impacting you.
  • Propose the outcome you’re seeking – be aware that not all complaints managed via the Integrity Office will result in the specific outcome you seek.

Internal review of a complaint decision

To request a review of a formal complaint decision, contact the Integrity Office quoting your formal complaint reference number within 10 days of receiving your formal complaint decision.

The integrity office will provide an internal review form for you to complete, where you will need to satisfy certain grounds in support of your request to seek a review of a formal complaint decision.

Appeal process

If you feel that the outcome of the University-managed complaint isn’t consistent with the prescribed grounds of the Student Appeals Regulations, you can lodge an appeal through the University’s Student Appeal process.

You’ll need to ensure you meet the prescribed grounds and the appeal application is lodged within the prescribed period.

External options

The Victorian Ombudsman

The Victorian Ombudsman independently investigates complaints about universities. The Ombudsman will encourage you to use the Victoria University’s complaint resolution procedures first before lodging a complaint with them.

Website: Victorian Ombudsman
Phone: +61 3 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314
Fax: +61 3 9614 0246
Email: [email protected]
Address: Level 9, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000

Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission

Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission works to resolve complaints about discrimination, sexual harassment and racial and religious vilification.

Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday, or submit your complaint online.
Phone: 1300 891 848
TTY: 1300 289 621
Email: [email protected]

National Relay Service

Phone: 1300 555 727 (Speak and Listen)
Website: National Relay Service

Translating and Interpreting Service

Phone: 131 450
Website: Translating and Interpreting Service

Privacy & records

For information about how the University protects your information, please refer to the Privacy Policy - Appendix 1. The privacy statement for the collection of student information provides details about the types of student information we collect and how it's managed. Students should read the statement before completing any forms.

You can also contact our Privacy Officer at [email protected] for any privacy-related query or concern.

Public complaint resolution

Victoria University’s Public Complaint Policy identifies the scope and process for complaints about the University, its staff, its students, or third parties providing services on behalf of the University.

Lodging a public complaint

You can lodge a complaint by completing the online complaint form.