We are looking for applicants who embody the values of Victoria University: progressive, forward-thinking, inclusive and bold! As part of the application, you'll be asked to tell us a little about yourself through answering the following questions. Be sure to allow about 20 minutes to focus on your responses.
- Why do you want to study at VU?
- How do you contribute to your community, school or family?
- Who inspires you to succeed?
- How would studying at VU help you to make a difference in the world?
1. Sample answer: Why do you want to study at VU?
I would like to study at VU because of the positive reputation I have received from media and current and past students of the university, as well as the atmosphere of the institution I experienced when attending the campus for open days or sport training. The opportunities that VU offers through courses and partnerships add another aspect to why VU is my first preference of universities. The way in which the Block Model is run also appeals to me and I believe will assist me in achieving the best I can.
2. Sample answer: How do you contribute to your community, school and/or family?
I have volunteered with The Uniting Care within the last year and have received a Certificate of Appreciation. During this time I assisted with the distribution of food to less fortunate members of the Geelong community. I also have a driving passion for environmental health and sustainability. Through my casual employment I engage with management in an attempt to change and improve environmental practices of the business to ensure that a more sustainable approach is taken. This is an important element of business models for the future.
3. Sample answer: Who inspires you to succeed?
1. My late grandfather inspires me to succeed. At the age of 20 he started his own business and built his dream from the ground up. He migrated to Australia with very little English and was a hard worker who provided for his family and gave back to the community during his life. I have inherited his work ethic, and know that if I have the opportunity to go to university I will be able to go even further and also give back to the community.
2. I’m inspired to succeed by former prime minister Julia Gillard. She was a trail-blazer for Australian women, a leader in politics and a former lawyer – also a male-dominated profession. She fought against discrimination to get to the top of her career and while in power she responded to unfair targeting and slanderous behaviour with intelligence and respect.
4. Sample answer: How would studying at VU help you make a difference in the world?
Getting an education at Victoria University will enable me to gain the knowledge to help others in my community, as I hope to become a nurse. I’m hoping to be able to specialise in mental health nursing as I believe that it is such an important area among the community and particularly younger people. I’m hoping that studying nursing will help give me the skills to support young people who are struggling and give them the skills they need to get back on their feet.