As a VU staff member, you have access to a range of benefits and services, both on and off campus.
At Victoria University, we value our staff and that is why we offer a diverse range of staff benefits. Many of these benefits are family friendly and aim to enhance and support both work life and personal life.
Examples of benefits available to staff are:
- attractive employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% for permanent staff
- dedicated on-campus UniSuper superannuation consultant
- up to 36 weeks paid maternity leave
- access to childcare, school holiday programs and parenting rooms
- salary sacrifice options
- discounts & savings (log in required when off site) including:
- discounted shopping benefits program
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) - Workplace banking program
- vehicle leasing options through NLC
- discounted tickets at Malthouse Theatre, one of our partners.
We recognise that staff need to balance their work responsibilities with other roles and activities in their lives. A wide range of flexible work arrangements are available to enable staff to manage caring responsibilities and working life, including:
- full time, part-time, fractional and casual employment
- time-in-lieu (in lieu of overtime payment)
- 48/52 work options (purchased leave)
- flexible start and finish times
- compressed working week
- rostered days off
- job share
- working from home.
VU is committed to ensuring that all people that come to VU go home in as good or better condition than they arrived.
All staff are expected to take an active role in creating safer work places and work practices by:
- cooperating with the University policies and procedures
- taking responsibility for their own actions
- not putting themselves or others at risk.
The University promotes a proactive health and safety philosophy based on effective communication and consultation. Health and safety issues that are identified are taken seriously and addressed promptly to eliminate or mitigate the risk of harm.
Health & fitness benefits we offer at VU include:
- free active living program - Thrive - free activities designed to improve your health, get you active and have fun
- discounted membership at our onsite gyms & fitness centres, including group exercise classes, team training, personal training, indoor sports course and more
- discounted prices at our Beauty day spa & salon
- discounts at a range of the VU's Health & wellbeing clinics including dermal therapies, massage, nutrition, osteopathy and psychology
- free personal training and clinical exercise rehabilitation at our VUCER clinic
- free yearly influenza injections for staff
- access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) (log in required). EAP is a free, confidential professional assistance and advisory service for employees and their families.
We provide an environment which enables staff to perform at their best. We support staff to achieve their work goals, develop capabilities and reach their potential career goals; and ultimately deliver success for VU.
Some opportunities we offer include:
- VU Develop – Victoria University’s Performance and Development Framework
- paid study leave and support from the Professional Staff Development Fund
- Special Studies Program
- academic Promotions
- general professional development opportunities
- learning, teaching & research development
- internal recruitment opportunities.
With a proud history of supporting staff and students from all walks of life, VU is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace where all staff can succeed.
We strive to create an inclusive culture that values different perspectives informed by cultural identity, gender, sexual orientation or disability. We recognise the value of diversity and inclusion and take steps to foster a professional, respectful workplace free from discrimination and harassment.
More on diversity & inclusion at VU.
Your kids can go to one of VU's Children's Centres.
The gym at the Fitness & Aquatic Centre on campus.
VU's clinical exercise & rehabilitation clinic (where you can also do free personal training).
Facilities & services
In addition to staff benefits, VU staff can also access a range of facilities and services on campus:
- food on campus
- parking on campus (except city campuses)
- access to bicycle hubs at our Footscray campuses
- library which provides information resources and services to staff members
- prayer rooms & reflection centres
- facilities service desk (requires login when off campus)
- IT support
- People & Culture (requires login when off campus) (Human Resources).
Safety & security
If you require security assistance on any campus please phone:
- Emergency security: +61 3 9919 6666
- General security: +61 3 9919 4999.
Learn more about security on campus.
VU Security offers a free shuttle bus service to and from the carpark at two of our campuses.
Safer Community provides advice, assistance and referrals to staff who experience, witness, or receive a disclosure of concerning, threatening or inappropriate behaviour. Contact Safer Community if you have safety or wellbeing concerns for yourself or someone else.
Phone: +61 3 9919 5707 (weekdays, office hours)
The free, official mobile safety app of VU, for staff and students. The app has safety information, tools and features to keep you safe on campus. Available for Apple and Android devices.
Learn more and download the VUSafe app.