As a VU staff member, you have access to a range of benefits and services, both on and off campus.
Professional Staff Festival (25-29 November, 2019)
VU's first Professional Staff Festival was a huge success.
More than 450 staff participated in the inaugural Professional Staff Festival during 25-29 November 2019. The event recognised and celebrated professional staff across VU.
Over five days and through a range of professional development sessions we showcased the skills, expertise and stories of our amazing staff and their enormous contribution to the success of the University. Many of whom were involved in delivering 40 sessions throughout the week.
At Victoria University, we value our staff and that is why we offer a diverse range of staff benefits. Many of these benefits are family friendly and aim to enhance and support both work life and personal life.
Examples of benefits available to staff are:
- salary increments and annual leave loading. (Annual leave loading payment equal to 17.5% of four weeks’ salary is payable for each completed year of a staff member’s service).
- attractive employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% for permanent staff
- dedicated on-campus UniSuper superannuation consultant
- up to 36 weeks paid maternity leave
- access to childcare, school holiday programs and parenting rooms
- salary sacrifice options
- Workplace banking program (log in required when off site) with Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA)
- vehicle leasing options through NLC
- discounted tickets at Malthouse Theatre, one of our partners
- staff and students can enjoy our great partnership with the Western Bulldogs AFL Football Club and enjoy two free tickets to home games during the season
- staff and students are able eligible to buy a Melbourne Victory 2-game membership for only $40.
We recognise that staff need to balance their work responsibilities with other roles and activities in their lives. A wide range of flexible work arrangements are available to enable staff to manage caring responsibilities and working life, including:
- full time, part-time, fractional and casual employment
- time-in-lieu (in lieu of overtime payment)
- 48/52 work options (purchased leave)
- flexible start and finish times
- compressed working week
- rostered days off
- job share
- working from home.
VU is committed to ensuring that all people that come to VU go home in as good or better condition than they arrived.
All staff are expected to take an active role in creating safer work places and work practices by:
- cooperating with the University policies and procedures
- taking responsibility for their own actions
- not putting themselves or others at risk.
The University promotes a proactive health and safety philosophy based on effective communication and consultation. Health and safety issues that are identified are taken seriously and addressed promptly to eliminate or mitigate the risk of harm.
Health & fitness benefits we offer at VU include:
- free active living program - Thrive - free activities designed to improve your health, get you active and have fun
- discounted membership at our onsite gyms & fitness centres, including group exercise classes, team training, personal training, indoor sports course and more
- discounted prices at our Beauty day spa & salon
- discounts at a range of the VU's Health & wellbeing clinics including dermal therapies, massage, osteopathy and psychology
- free personal training for healthy staff, and a low fee for clinical exercise rehabilitation at our VUCER student clinic
- free yearly influenza injections for staff
- access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) (log in required). EAP is a free, confidential professional assistance and advisory service for employees and their families.
We provide an environment which enables staff to perform at their best. We support staff to achieve their work goals, develop capabilities and reach their potential career goals; and ultimately deliver success for VU.
Some opportunities we offer include:
- VU Develop – Victoria University’s Performance and Development Framework
- free, unlimited online courses with LinkedIn Learning (go to Sign in > Sign in with your organization account > Enter your VU email address)
- paid study leave and support from the Professional Staff Development Fund
- Special Studies Program
- academic promotions
- general professional development opportunities
- learning, teaching & research development
- internal recruitment opportunities.
With a proud history of supporting staff and students from all walks of life, VU is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace where all staff can succeed.
We strive to create an inclusive culture that values different perspectives informed by cultural identity, gender, sexual orientation or disability. We recognise the value of diversity and inclusion and take steps to foster a professional, respectful workplace free from discrimination and harassment.
We also offer a range of safe spaces on many of our campuses - for example, parenting rooms, prayer rooms, women's rooms and LGBTQIA safe spaces.
More on diversity & inclusion at VU.
Your kids can go to one of VU's Children's Centres.
The gym at the Fitness & Aquatic Centre on campus.
Facilities & services
In addition to staff benefits, VU staff can also access a range of facilities and services on campus:
- food on campus
- parking on campus (except city campuses)
- access to bicycle hubs at our Footscray campuses
- library which provides information resources and services to staff members
- prayer rooms & reflection centres
- facilities service desk (requires login when off campus)
- IT support
- People & Culture (requires login when off campus) (Human Resources).
Safety & security
If you require security assistance on any campus please phone:
- Emergency security: +61 3 9919 6666
- General security: +61 3 9919 4999.
Learn more about security on campus.
VU Security offers a free shuttle bus service to and from the car park at two of our campuses.
Safer Community provides advice, assistance and referrals to staff who experience, witness, or receive a disclosure of concerning, threatening or inappropriate behaviour. Contact Safer Community if you have safety or wellbeing concerns for yourself or someone else.
For more information visit the:
Phone: +61 3 9919 5707 (weekdays, office hours)
Email: [email protected]
The free, official mobile safety app of VU, for staff and students. The app has safety information, tools and features to keep you safe on campus. Available for Apple and Android devices.
Learn more and download the VUSafe app.
VU cyber security
Cyber security awareness at VU plays an important role in limiting the threat of cybercrime.
Staff can access VU cyber training and online resources (requires login when off campus) that provide practical steps for protecting your information, devices and the University from online risks.
Contact IT Service Desk (requires login when off campus) if you have any concerns about your security and privacy online.