The exercise physiology labs study human exercise performance and fundamental human physiology in sport, exercise and health.
Our exercise physiology labs
Our facilities include:
- Human Performance Laboratory: for athlete and general physiology testing. Fully supported by state of the art equipment for respiratory and metabolic analyses, ergometry, power output measurements, ECG, EMG, NIRS, Doppler ultrasound.
- Muscle Strength and Power Laboratory: for comprehensive analysis of muscle function and performance.
- Environmental Exercise Laboratory: for simultaneously acclimatising up to ten athletes in heat and at high humidity, as well as exercise at simulated altitude in a low oxygen environment.
- Heat Chamber: for human or materials testing in precisely controlled adverse climatic environments. These facilitate industry collaboration in testing equipment, clothing and product performance.
- Body Composition Laboratory: for sophisticated determinations of body density and anthropometry. It includes a whole body laser scanner for rapid, high throughput determination of body dimensions.
- Invasive Exercise Laboratory: for exercise science research utilising tissue sampling (e.g. muscle/fat biopsy and blood sampling), nutritional or pharmaceutical interventions to understand mechanisms of physiology in exercise.
- Blood Biochemistry Laboratory: for immediate processing and analyses of acidity, electrolytes, glucose, lactic acid, and fluid shifts in blood collected from all exercise physiology laboratories.
- Exercise Physiology Teaching Laboratory: utilising the latest technologies to teach exercise physiology.