The primary aim of our partnership with Lifeline Western Melbourne is to boost resources for Victorians requiring crisis support and suicide prevention services.
With the community in Melbourne’s west and north facing a 35% increase in demand for Lifeline services since the beginning of the pandemic, this new partnership will focus on providing better support systems for residents in the region facing emotional distress.
About Lifeline Western Melbourne
Lifeline Western Melbourne s a wholly owned subsidiary of Lifeline Australia, providing the following crucial services to the local community:
- 24/7 crisis support via their 13 11 14 support line
- training programs including Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Accidental Counsellor Foundations, Domestic Violence Response Training (DV-alert) and Mental Health First Aid
- suicide prevention programs.
These services are financially supported by corporate and community donations, as well as the operation of Lifeline Shops.
Lifeline Western Melbourne continually aims to expand these suicide prevention and community wellbeing programs into local areas where they do not currently exist.
Lifeline has opened its first crisis support and suicide prevention centre in Melbourne’s west. Located on Victoria University’s , it is also the first Lifeline Crisis Call Centre in the state to operate from a university campus. Since COVID, Melbourne’s west and north have experienced a 35% surge in demand from residents facing emotional distress or battling cost-of-living pressures.
The service aims to have 40 crisis support volunteers answering calls by the end of its first year. The centre will provide real-world placements and opportunities for VU students studying youth work, psychology, counselling, community services and social work to train as Lifeline crisis-support volunteers.
The partnership between Lifeline Western Melbourne and VU will also include:
- working together to evaluate Lifeline services and programs with the Lifeline Research Foundation
- integrating the Lifeline University Call Line service to provide dedicated after-hours access for VU students seeking mental-health support
- guest-lecturering by Lifeline staff in relevant VU courses
- providing student-placement opportunities at various Lifeline sites and services.