In this two-day workshop, teachers of VCE chemistry will be brought up-to-date with modern spectroscopy and chromatography.
The professional development covers theoretical and technical principles. Teachers receive hands-on training in the Shimadzu Analytical Laboratory, which contains state-of-the-art chromatographic and spectroscopic instrumentation.
Practical exercises include the analysis of:
- calcium in milk using atomic absorption spectroscopy
- aspirin in analgesic tablets using UV-vis spectroscopy
- molecular structure determination using infrared spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- alcohol in wine using gas chromatography
- caffeine in energy drinks using liquid chromatography.
This program supports the VCE chemistry curriculum and provides teachers with detailed hands-on practice in chemical analysis. A certificate of attendance is presented at the conclusion of the second day.
To register, email Dr Raymond Horsley ([email protected]).