The document request service provides VU staff, postgraduate (PhD, professional doctorates, masters, graduate diploma, graduate certificate) and honours students with material which is not held by the VU Library. This includes books, research reports, theses (where available for loan) as well as copies of journal articles, chapters from books or conference papers required for your research and teaching.
Some items are supplied as loans and others as copies which may be kept. Copies are delivered online, but loans cannot be sent to VU Sydney or outside Australia. Most requests are completed within two weeks.
ArticleReach is a service that enables VU students and staff to locate and access journal articles that are not held in the VU Library collection.
Before you place a request
If you are looking for a book not available at VU, try BONUS+ (a combined catalogue of select University libraries across Australia and New Zealand).
For articles, try the Library Search to locate items from VU Library subscribed databases.
Only VU staff, postgraduate (PhD, professional doctorates, masters, graduate diploma, graduate certificate) and honours students can log in to the document request service.
Log in with your MYVU Portal username and password
- Always search by title when using the system. If you are searching for a journal article, enter the journal title not the article title.
- When searching by title or keyword use the whole term, the system does not always recognise abbreviations or acronyms
- From the listed results just click on the 'Get it' icon and choose Libraries Australia when available
- When filling out the request form, ensure you have the correct details and enter as much information as possible (for example, article title, page numbers, volume, issue). This will speed up delivery!
- Desktop delivery of electronic journal articles or chapters will normally be delivered within 10 working days. If your item arrives more quickly than this you will be notified via VU email.
- Books can also take up to 10 days depending on the holding institution and if the item is available.
- Please note that if the item is on loan you will have to wait until it is returned, plus delivery time to VU.
- Items requiring manual checking by Document Supply staff will take longer.
- These timelines are for the standard service. The Document Supply team also offer a priority and a rush service - discuss these with them if you require an item urgently.
Document Supply assistance is available via: