The Library offers a number of programs throughout the year to assist students in developing research skills and to use the full range of information resources available at Victoria University Library. The programs include 30-minute sessions, one-hour information sessions, and two-hour hands-on workshops.
Drop-in sessions: all discipline areas & year levels
Drop in and see a librarian to assist you with finding resources for your assignment or information on how to reference, and to develop skills beyond the basics.
Research & referencing drop-ins
Online drop-in sessions are open to all students (TAFE, undergraduate and postgraduate) from each discipline area. Sessions are free and no appointment is required.
Connect via Zoom through the VU Collaborate Learning Hub, Zoom Classroom section
See how to:
Drop-in times from Monday 4 October to Friday 26 November 2021 are: every Monday to Friday, 11am-12pm (noon).
There are no drop-in sessions on 1 November and 2 November 2021 due to University and public holidays.
Note that these online sessions are for VU students only.
Beyond the basics drop-ins
Talk with librarians online via Zoom about the range of resources available in your field of study from First Year to PhD. Email the librarian to book an appointment and please state your preferred time/day (appointments are not available on 1-2 November due to University and public holidays). You will receive a confirmation of your appointment and a link to the Zoom meeting.
Law & criminology
Get tips on how to search for resources more effectively and reference them correctly: case law, legislation, journals, books and more. Email law librarians [email protected] or [email protected] for Zoom meetings on Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm, by appointment.
Health & biomedicine
Get tips on how to:
- locate sources for your assessment tasks
- plan effective strategies search
- evaluate information
- manage your references.
Engineering, Science & IT
Get a head start with:
- library research and locating resources for your assessment tasks
- planning effective search strategies
- database searching
- accessing articles and Australian Standards
- referencing and EndNote reference management tool.
Email engineering, science & IT librarian [email protected] for Zoom meetings, Monday-Thursday, during Block teaching periods, by appointment.
These workshops will be available through Learning Hubs online (login required).
- Academic Integrity workshops are held online throughout the year for all students starting or continuing their studies at Victoria University.
- Academic Inquiry workshops in all disciplines, as part of Study Essentials, are offered online in 2021.
- Digital Citizenship workshops, as part of Study Essentials, are held online throughout the year.
The online workshop ‘Getting started with Academic Integrity’ is for students starting or continuing their studies at Victoria University. As you access and use resources for your study, it is important to ensure that your academic work complies with VU’s Academic Integrity Policy.
In ‘Getting started with Academic Integrity’ workshop, you will learn:
- what academic integrity means at Victoria University
- why it is important to present authentic work and acknowledge the work of others
- how to build academic integrity skills and knowledge with Academic Integrity modules.
Book a workshop
Booking for workshops on 21 October and 16 November 2021 is available via:
Academic Inquiry workshops are part of the Study Essentials suite of workshops designed for first year students to build foundational skills needed to excel in their studies.
In Academic Inquiry online workshops, you will learn how to:
- search for information and identify credible sources to use in an academic setting
- create strategies to locate and use discipline-specific key resources such as scholarly databases, e-books, e-journals and web resources
- apply the concept of academic integrity including referencing
- create your own resource of tips and useful online guides.
Discipline specific workshops are offered online in various disciplines:
- Academic Inquiry - Arts & Education
- Academic Inquiry - Building & Architecture
- Academic Inquiry - Business
- Academic Inquiry - Engineering, Science & IT
- Academic Inquiry - Health
- Academic Inquiry - Law
- Academic Inquiry - Sports & Exercise Science.
Book a workshop
Bookings will be available via:
Digital Citizenship workshops are part of the Study Essentials suite of workshops designed for first year students to build foundational skills needed to excel in their studies.
In the Digital Citizenship workshop, you will:
- consider ‘What does digital citizenship mean to you?’ and respond to the question
- increase your understanding and awareness of how you interact with digital spaces and your current digital footprint
- understand concepts of digital safety and the importance of interacting in digital environments as ethical digital citizens.
Book a workshop
Booking is available via:
Researcher development (including Research Ambassador workshops)
Library staff contribute to the Researcher Development Program by delivering sessions on topics such as using Endnote, using research database & research tools, getting your research published and measuring research impact.
Research Ambassadors’ mini-workshops
Research Ambassadors run mini-workshops throughout the year on a range of different research topics. In the mini-workshops, the Research Ambassadors provide peer-to-peer research support to both research students and staff in a range of skill areas including: research design, data analysis, data management, statistical software, Qualtrics, writing, ethics applications and general transition support. These workshops provide a relaxed and informal learning setting.
For more information about these sessions (run by the Library or Research Ambassadors) see the Researcher Development Program calendar.
If the session you are interested in is not listed or you would like the Library to run additional sessions for a specific audience contact the Cameron Barrie (Research Librarian) [email protected].