The collection was formed around an initial donation in March 2012 from the Oxfam Australia Library. It was augmented in June 2012 with rare and research quality items from the Footscray Park Main Collection.
The Timor-Leste Collection will be added to by donations from personal and organisational collections and is intended to chart the development of Timor-Leste as an independent nation. It is located in the Special Collections Room, P402, at the Footscray Park Campus Library of Victoria University.
What's in the Collection?
The Timor-Leste Collection features a range of books, reports, journals, newsletters, yearbooks and pamphlets that focus chiefly on Timor-Leste as an independent nation but also cover its occupation by other countries. The collection's strengths are economics, development and trade, politics, governance and administration, education, culture, society and history.
It includes titles such as:
- Area study of Portuguese Timor by The Allied Geographical Section, South West Pacific Area (1943)
- Fretilin : the origins, ideologies and strategies of a nationalist movement in East Timor by Helen Hill (1978)
- The struggle in Iliomar : resistance in rural East Timor by Ernest Chamberlain (2003)
- Timor Lorosa'e national survey of citizen knowledge (2002)
- Eastern (Portuguese) Timor : independence or oppression? by Grant Evans (1975)
- The Lorikeet warriors: East Timorese new generation nationalist resistance, 1989-99 by Dan Nicholson (2001)
- East Timor's political parties and groupings : briefing notes by Pat Walsh (2001)
- Australian foreign policy and East Timor by Michael E. Salla (1994)
- Timor-Leste: ita iha nebe ona ohin loron (2003)
- The Timor Story by Dr Helen Hill (1975) - Full text available online
Access to the Collection
The Timor-Leste Collection is located within the Special Collection room. Items cannot be borrowed, but may be used in the Footscray Park Library. Please make an
appointment to use the Collection by contacting the Librarian responsible for maintaining the collection, Linda Forbes, on (03) 9919 8506 during office hours, or by emailing Linda at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the Library Catalogue all items in the collection have the prefix FTS TIMOR-LESTE COLL. before the call number.
Other useful resources
ictoria University Library has significant holdings of books from or about Timor-Leste available in the main lending collection, as well as some online journals (available to students and staff of Victoria University). There is also a wealth of Timor-Leste related information available via the internet, such as:
- National Library of Australia East Timor Collection
- Timor-Leste Government website
- CHART - Clearing House for Archival Records on Timor
- Timor Archives
- United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT)
- East Timor Government Association
- East Timor & Indonesia Action Network (ETAN)
- Friends of Timor-Leste (Australia)
- Timor-Leste National Statistics Directorate
- Welcome to Timor-Leste (Government Website)
- Cinema Lorosa'e
- UNTL Library Project
- Libraries for Timor-Leste
- Library of the Universidade Nacionale Timor Lorosa'e
- Blue Mountains East Timor Sisters
- Timor-Leste Studies Association