V4U Day is Victoria University’s largest community volunteering event, held over a full day every year.
The event takes place in Semester 2, and involves students, alumni and staff members taking part in volunteering activities across the western suburbs of Melbourne.
Since V4U Day began in 2011, we have partnered with 58 unique organisations in Melbourne’s west.
V4U Day has received:
- Winner - Most Successful Event award at the 2020 CampusLink Awards
- Highly Commended – Most Successful Event award at the 2018 CampusLink Awards
- citation for Excellence in Service at the 2015 Vice Chancellor’s Awards
- Best Event award in 2012 by the Australian Association of Campus Activities.
To register to be a V4U Day volunteer, you need to be one of the following:
- a current VU student
- a VU staff member
- a VU alumni.
Benefits of being a V4U Day volunteer
As a V4U Day volunteer you can:
- connect with students from different campuses and backgrounds
- earn volunteering hours towards your LEAD Program
- enjoy a sense of achievement by giving back to the community
- learn new skills
- have fun
- add volunteering to your resume.
On V4U Day, all volunteers will also receive:
- an exclusive V4U Day T-shirt
- tools and equipment for needed to complete your project (if applicable)
- a Certificate of Appreciation
- an invitation to the after-event celebration.
Feedback from our volunteers shows that after volunteering for V4U Day:
- 82% had made new friends
- 92% felt more connected to VU
- 92% felt more connected to the local community.
What happens on a V4U Day?
Community project location days
As a V4U Day volunteer, you will arrive at Footscray Park Campus by 8am, enjoy a free breakfast and entertainment, and collect your V4U Day T-shirt, cap and lunch pack.
After reporting to your project team leader and meeting other volunteers on your assigned project team, you'll be transported by bus to your community project location in Melbourne's west.
Your team will complete a volunteering project for one of our community partners (approximately 4 hours duration including breaks). Once your project is completed, we'll pick you up from your location and drive you back to campus for the after-event celebration with the other project teams.
Remote project days
As a V4U Day volunteer, you will receive a project pack with all materials you will need to participate in your team project from home.
After reporting to your project Team Leader and meeting other volunteers on your assigned project, you'll receive a project briefing and instructions about your project and meet your team.
You will then remotely complete a team volunteering project with other volunteers. Once your project is completed, you can join our live "show-and-tell" session to showcase what you have accomplished and see what the other teams have been up to, before finishing up the day with an after-event celebration party.
Check out V4U Day photos on the Student Life Facebook page to get a glimpse of V4U Day 2019!
V4U Day remote projects
Volunteers work remotely on their team projects for approximately four hours and complete a range of tasks such as:
- making face masks, ear protectors, or pocket hearts to donate to our partners
- participating in breakthrough conversations on social justice and asylum seekers
- creating a mindful walking route in your local community
- reading stories to children
- singing in a virtual choir to dedicate a song to frontline workers
- having your children draw a picture or make a postcard for aged care residents or frontline workers.
Do you have a community project that you would like us to assist you with?
Read the V4U Day Project Partner Guide to get some ideas.
If you need help planning or developing your project, feel free to contact us and we are happy to provide ideas, suggestions and assistance.
Contact the V4U Day team by email: [email protected].