Choose to study at one of over 100 partner universities for one or two semesters with VU's exchange program.

You'll gain credit towards your VU degree, experience another culture and gain a truly global perspective.

As an outbound exchange student you remain enrolled at Victoria University while studying abroad and continue to pay your usual fees.

Semester 1, 2020 - Extended Deadline

Victoria Abroad has extended the deadline for select partner universities listed in this table.

To apply please ensure you submit a complete application including an approved study plan. Applications must close on 8 September. This is the last opportunity to study overseas for semester 1 2020.

Partner University Country
University of Guelph Canada
University of Windsor Canada
Western University Canada
University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) China
University of Jyvaskyla Finland
ESSCA School of Management - Angers France
IESEG School of Management - Lille France
Berlin School of Economics and Law Germany
Cologne Business School Germany
German Sport University Germany
Ludwigsburg University of Education Germany
Munich University of Applied Sciences Germany
Hong Kong Baptist University Hong Kong SAR
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) Japan
SUNWAY University Malaysia
Tecnologico de Monterrey (ITESM) Mexico
University of Monterrey (UDEM) Mexico
HAN University of Applied Sciences The Netherlands
Hanyang University South Korea
Kyung Hee University South Korea
Soonchunhyang University South Korea
School of Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy (CETT - UB) Spain
Jonkoping University Sweden
Karlstad University Sweden
Leeds Beckett University United Kingdom
Loughborough University United Kingdom
Belmont University United States of America
East Carolina University United States of America
State University of New York - New Paltz United States of America
The College of New Jersey United States of America

If you are interested in a university not listed here please contact Victoria Abroad directly to find out whether it is still possible for Semester 1, 2020.

Olivia Flynn, Western University, Canada.


Both domestic and international students are able to undertake an exchange program, subject to course requirements.

To be eligible, you must undertake the equivalent of 3 or 4 units (36-48 credit points) and have:

  • achieved a credit average (minimum of 60%); and
  • completed one year of undergraduate study (8 units) by the time you depart; or
  • completed one semester of postgraduate study (4 units) by the time you depart.

The Recommended Destination Guides are a good place to start your research if you are not sure which partner university will offer units to match towards your VU degree. These guides are broken into the VU Colleges and provide a list of universities in each study area.

These documents should only be used as a guide. They are not comprehensive lists of universities and offerings. Once you have reviewed VU’s partner universities and selected a preferred host, review their unit offerings and book a meeting with your college CUA to complete your study plan.

Mia Dunphy, Gajah Mada University, Indonesia.

Credit approval

The units you intend to study overseas must be approved beforehand as they will count towards your VU degree.

For your application you will need to:

  1. Determine which units you may be able to study overseas by looking at the course structure. It's a good idea to meet with your CUA to discuss this.
  2. Visit your proposed host university’s website and search for the units you wish to study.
    • Check which semester the units are offered in: Fall/Autumn = VU’s Semester 2; Spring = VU’s Semester 1.
    • The terminology may be different: what we call units other universities may call modules, courses, or subjects.
    • Ensure you check the credit point value of the units of your proposed host institution: most VU units are worth 12 credit points, which is equivalent to 3 US credits, 7.5 ECTS or 15 UK credits.
  3. Gather the unit descriptions/syllabus from the host university and complete your overseas study plan. If you cannot find the syllabus information please contact Victoria Abroad and we will get in touch with the partner university on your behalf. Please do not contact them directly.
  4. Have your CUA approve your overseas study plan: this is important to ensure that you will receive credit for your overseas study.

Apply for semester exchange

Once your overseas study plan is approved by your CUA you are ready to apply to Victoria Abroad.

To apply:

  1. Complete the overseas study plan, signed off by your CUA.
  2. Complete the application for overseas study.
  3. Submit both forms to by the relevant application deadline.

Application deadlines

  • Semester 1, 2020: applications due by 31 July 2019 (Selected universities extended until 8 September).
  • Semester 2, 2020: applications due by 1 February 2020.

After applications have closed, Victoria Abroad will assess all applications and will contact you in due course.

If your application is successful, you will receive instructions on how to complete an application for your host university. These vary depending on the destination.

Independent study abroad

In cases where semester exchange is not an option, you may choose to study abroad independently.

Independent study abroad allows you to study one or two semesters at an overseas institution that does not have an exchange agreement with VU.

The differences between exchange and study abroad are:

  • Tuition fees for your study abroad semester are paid directly to the host institution.
  • You can choose to study at a non-partner institution that accepts study abroad students (as long as your CUA agrees that the units you choose are acceptable).

Contact Victoria Abroad to find out more about study abroad.