Multi-factor authentication (MFA) adds an extra layer of security to help protect your information and VU's data.
As part of our constant effort to protect your data online, VU is enabling MFA for VU students.
Setting up MFA
- Visit on your computer.
- Log-in to your VU account using your staff ID () or student ID (), and password. If you haven't set up a password yet, follow the 'More information required' prompt.
- Download the onto your mobile phone. The set-up process on your computer will provide a QR code to help you.
- Click 'Next' on your computer after you've installed the app.
- In the Microsoft Authenticator app, select 'Work or school account', then click 'Scan a QR Code'
- Scan the QR code on your computer to link your VU account to Microsoft Authenticator and follow the prompts on your mobile phone. Click 'Next' on your computer.
- Approve the notification on your mobile phone by entering the number on your computer screen.
- Once approved, click 'Next' and follow the prompts to set up a backup authentication method by text message or phone call.
Success! You've now set up multi-factor authentication on your VU account.
How to use MFA
Our multi-factor authentication requires you to copy a 2-digit number shown on your computer into your Microsoft Authenticator app:
- Log in to your VU account using your VU ID.
- Look for a 2-digit number on the screen.
- Check your phone for a notification about an attempt to access your account.
- Type the number into your Microsoft Authenticator app.
After completing the challenge, you will be logged in to your account – it's that simple!
In most cases, you'll receive an MFA challenge every 90 days. You'll need to immediately authenticate again if you:
- use a different browser or computer
- clear your browser cookies/cache
- use a high-risk application or a risk-based event is detected.
About Microsoft Authenticator
The Microsoft Authenticator app is the preferred method for multi-factor authentication. The app is free to download, uses minimal data on your device and helps make the authentication process secure and seamless.
You must keep Microsoft Authenticator updated to prevent login issues and access the latest security features.