Visa applications

You need a student visa (subclass 500) to study at Victoria University (VU) in Australia. The Australian Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing student visas.

The Department of Home Affairs website contains all the information you need to know about preparing your student visa application, including the documents you are required to submit.

If you are applying to be a guardian for a student under 18, you will instead need a student guardian visa.

Student visa (subclass 500) application process

You will need to complete the following steps before applying for your student visa (subclass 500):

  1. Apply for your VU course. You can apply directly to VU or through VU representatives in your country.
  2. Accept your offer. If you meet VU’s entry requirements, you will receive a letter of offer. There may be conditions attached to your offer, which you must meet before you can accept your offer.
  3. Make sure you have a valid passport.
  4. Include all the relevant documents listed on the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) document checklist in your visa application.
    This includes your letter of offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), which we will send to you once you accept your offer.
  5. Create an ImmiAccount before you submit your student visa application through DHA.
  6. DHA will guide you through the rest of the application process.

A successful student visa application should show proof of the following:

  • English-language proficiency
  • evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school-aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • genuine student requirement
  • health and character criteria
  • arrangements for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Read the Australian Government information out about applying for student visa (subclass 500)

Students under 18

According to Australian immigration regulations, students under 18 years of age can study in Australia if they do one of the following:

  • Nominate a student guardian. Nominate a parent, legal custodian or relative over 21 years of age as your student guardian. This person must have a visa to stay in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18. You must attach a completed Form 157N Nomination of a student guardian to your application (PDF, 290KB). If your nominated guardian is applying for a student guardian (subclass TU-590) visa, both applications should be made at the same time.
  • Arrange a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW). Unless you are a secondary exchange student or a Foreign Affairs or Defence student, organise for your education provider to approve your welfare arrangements. Your education provider will issue a CAAW and advise us of your welfare arrangements start and end date.
  • Provide your Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form if you are a secondary exchange student. Attach a signed copy of the CAAW to the student visa application.
  • Organise approval of your welfare arrangements from the relevant Minister, if you are a Foreign Affairs or Defence student. 

If you require Victoria University to arrange a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW), you must have an agreement with our approved caregiver services and one of our approved accommodation providers.

These welfare arrangements must be maintained until you reach 18 years of age. During this period (including periods of non-enrolment), any changes to accommodation and/or welfare arrangements must be approved by VU.

Please apply for their services directly via their nominated websites.

Find more information on the DHA website.

Visa conditions

As an international student in Australia, you must meet the conditions of your visa throughout your entire study.

In order to meet your visa conditions you must:

  • be enrolled in a full-time, registered program*
  • complete your study within the time shown on your confirmation of enrolment
  • meet the financial requirements to cover your living costs (and costs for any dependents) during your study
  • arrange education for your children aged 6-17 years if you have children who are accompanying you to Australia (international research students can send their children to a public school without paying any tuition fees)
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress to avoid exclusion from your course. If you are reported for unsatisfactory progress during your study, please contact VUHQ (Student Service Centres) for advice.

*International students can only enrol in VU-registered programs that are listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). 

Changing your VU course

International students may be able to change their course at VU. Visit VUHQ (Student Service Centres) to discuss the possibility of changing your course.

All student visa (subclass 500) holders are required to maintain enrolment at the same course level or a higher level for which they were granted a visa. You do not need to apply for a new visa if you are changing from an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level 10 course (doctoral degree) to an AQF 9 course (masters degree).

If you want to transfer from VU to another place of study, you must complete six months of your principal course before you can transfer. If you have not completed six months at VU, you will need to complete an International Student Release Letter Application (PDF, 219.3 KB).

All transfers from VU are assessed on a case-by-case basis in line with the university's Transfer Policy.

Working in Australia

Once your course starts, you and your dependants can work up to 40 hours per fortnight (starting on a Monday) and unlimited hours during the holidays. Work that is part of your course at VU or genuine voluntary unpaid work is not included in the 40 hours.

You need a tax file number (TFN) to work in Australia.

Students and their families must not breach the work conditions that apply to their student visa.

If you want to share your visa details with your education provider or employer, you can do this through DHA’s Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).