Student visa (subclass 500) application process
In July 2016, the Australian Government made the process of applying for a student visa simpler so that:
- all international students will apply for a single student visa (subclass 500)
- student guardians will apply for the new student guardian visa (subclass 590).
You will need to complete the following steps before applying for your student visa (subclass 500):
- Apply for your VU course. You can apply directly to VU or through VU representatives in your country.
- Accept your offer. If you meet VU’s entry requirements, you will receive a letter of offer, which you must then accept. There may be conditions attached to your letter of offer, which you must meet before you can accept your offer.
- Make sure that you have a valid passport.
- Include all the relevant documents listed on the DIBP document checklist in your visa application. This includes your letter of offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), which we will send to you once you accept your offer.
- Create an ImmiAccount before you submit your student visa application through DIBP.
- DIBP will guide you through the rest of the application process.
A successful student visa application should show proof of the following:
- English language proficiency
- evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
- genuine temporary entrant requirements
- health and character criteria
- arrangements for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).