Aspiring Elite scholarships are awarded to emerging elite student athletes. They benefit students who are experiencing disadvantages that impact their educational and sporting development.
Scholarships are available to six students (minimum two female), targeting new students, with at least 70% coming from the western suburbs of Melbourne.
Our sport scholarships and elite athlete support program assist outstanding VU athletes to balance their studies with the demands of elite-level sport. They help emerging student athletes in their aim to perform at the elite sporting level.
Applications for the Aspiring Elite scholarships are currently closed.
Value & benefits
The scholarships are valued at up to $500 in cash support.
Sport-related services, grants & memberships
Benefits include sport-related grants, memberships and services:
- annual membership
- Australian University Games entry fee cost waived (accommodation and travel costs not included)
- access to VU (osteopathy, massage and nutrition clinics)
- international travel grant to offset costs for recognised major international sporting events.
International athlete travel grants
Eligible student athletes may apply for a grant to offset travel costs at major international events at any time throughout the year. Major international events are limited to:
- Olympic Games
- Commonwealth Games
- World Student Games
- World Championships.
Applications for these are open all year. However, grants are subject to the availability of funds.
To be eligible, students should be in one of these elite-sport categories:
- national-aged squad member of Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) equivalent
- state squad-aged or open member of Victoria Institute of Sport (VIS) equivalent
- top 10 national ranking age or open competition for individual sports in the year of application
- finalist at age or open competition.
Students should also be:
- involved in a non-professional sport as recognised by Victoria University Sport
- a currently-enrolled student, or commenced and deferred, or taken intermission for the purposes of international representation.