Moondani Balluk Indigenous Academic Unit works across Aboriginal, non-governmental organisations and community space to engage in respectful and equal partnerships based in the aspirations of the Bathelmun Yalingwa Strategy 2017-2020 to Grow (Gamadji), Share (Dambunmon) and Connect (Jerrboongun).
Our community involvement
Our partnerships aim to advance the opportunities and provide voice for Aboriginal people in the west of Melbourne to actively engage in self-determination, local civic activities and a connection to VU programs.
These engagements include membership of the:
- Footscray Community Arts Board and Indigenous Advisory Group
- Koling wada-ngal Committee for the Wyndham City Council Wunggurrwil Dhurrung Centre
- Footprints for Success
- Western Metropolitan Regional Aboriginal Justice Advisory Committee (Department of Justice and Community Safety; Vic)
- Marrung Regional Forum & Reference Group (Department of Education and Training; Vic)
- Western Metropolitan Regional Partnership (Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions; Vic)
- AAV Local Aboriginal Network reference committees
- Aboriginal Wellness Foundation
- Jobs Taskforce.
Paola Balla's Moondani Balluk design shows the embodying relationship between the University and Moondani Balluk and the meaning of 'embracing people' – being embraced by VU.
Wunggurrwil Dhurrung Centre in Wyndham
In 2019, the Wunggurrwil Dhurrung Centre in Wyndham was opened to provide a place for the Aboriginal community to gather. The Centre includes an early years' space and the Koling wada-ngal (Walk together – Wadawurrung) space specifically for Aboriginal people.
Local cultural-strengthening programs are poised to deliver their programs so that Aboriginal people can grow, connect and share cultural practices with each other. Over many years Moondani Balluk and the Wyndham City Council worked with the Wyndham Aboriginal Community Centre Committee (now named Koling wada-ngal) to plan the purpose built Centre in Wyndham. The Centre took out the highest honour in the Victorian Architecture Awards 2020 for best practice in environmentally sustainable architecture.