English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is a university and TAFE preparation course for international students.
It's designed for international students with upper-intermediate to advanced levels of English who want to gain admission to an Australian TAFE, undergraduate or postgraduate course.
EAP unit structures
EAP is made up of the following units:
- EAP 4 – English for Academic Purposes Upper Intermediate
A 10-week unit for students who wish to study academic English or gain direct entry into foundation studies, TAFE certificates/diplomas or higher education diplomas (Diploma of Business, Engineering or Information Technology) at VU.
- EAP 5 – University Preparation Undergraduate
A specialised 10-week unit for students who wish to enrol in a Victoria University undergraduate course.
- EAP 6 – University Preparation Postgraduate
For students with an advanced level of English who wish to enrol in a Victoria University postgraduate course.
English levels & pathways
There are six levels in VU English from elementary to advanced. Upon successful completion of a level you can:
- advance to a course in the next level
- specialise in an area that interests you, or
- apply to TAFE or University.
We will assess which level is right for you through the VU English Placement Test.
All courses are 5 to 10 weeks in duration.
|Level||English Language Entry Level||General English (GE)||English For Academic Purposes (LEL)||English For Academic Purposes (EAP)||VU Pathways|
|Advanced 2 |
Approximate IELTS: 6.0/PTE 51-59/TOEFL IBT: 60-78
|EAP 6||Most VU courses requiring IELTS 6.5 or 7 entry (see VU website for exceptions)|
|Advanced 1 |
Approximate IELTS: 5.5/PTE 44-50/TOEFL IBT: 46-59
|GE 5||IEL5||EAP 5||Courses requiring IELTS 6.0 entry|
|4||Upper intermediate |
Approximate IELTS: 5.0/PTE 37-43/TOEFL IBT: 35-45
|GE 4 |
|EAP 4 |
|Courses requiring IELTS 5.5 entry |
Approximate IELTS: 4.5/PTE 30-36/TOEFL IBT: 32-34
|GE 3 |
Approximate IELTS: 4.0/TOEFL IBT: 20-31
Approximate IELTS: 3.5/TOEFL IBT: 0-19
|GE 1 |
Benefits of studying EAP
- Over 95% graduation rates.
- Rapid progress in academic reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Practice in lecture and tutorial note-taking.
- Direct entry to TAFE, undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
- Extra support for students.
Study in China
You can also study EAP at one of our partner universities in China:
* All prices are in Australian dollars (AUD)
^ Overall score of 6, plus writing at 6, for EAP 6. Overall score of 5.5, plus writing at 5.5, for EAP 5
EAP study areas include:
- academic culture
- academic writing (including research and referencing skills)
- academic reading
- academic listening
- academic speaking (including tutorial and oral presentation skills).
Learning activities in class
During your classes you will participate in:
- class discussions and role plays
- presentations and debates
- essay and report writing
- videos and audio learning
- workshops and tutorials
- quizzes and tests
- journal/diary writing
- computer assisted learning
The average class size is 15 students (maximum of 18 students). Our students study 20 hours a week, 4 hours per day. There are usually 2 hours of morning classes and two hours of afternoon classes. On most days, additional support classes are provided during lunch breaks.
We offer intakes throughout the year. Our university preparation courses are only available at certain times of the year:
- EAP 4 – Certificate and Diploma Preparation – available for all intakes.
- EAP 5 – University Preparation Undergraduate (UPU) – available at intake 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 & 9.
- EAP 6 – University Preparation Postgraduate (UPP) – available at intake 3, 4, 7, 8 & 9.
Preparing for a VU course
You will study an EAP course with VU English if you are required to complete English language studies to gain admission into a VU course.