Entry requirements for international students

To study at Victoria University (VU) as an international student you must meet academic and English-language requirements.

In some cases, there may be additional or supplementary entry requirements.

English-language tests

You must take a recognised English language test no more than two years before you start your course. If your qualification was mostly taught in English, check the English-language requirements (PDF, 44.05 KB) to see if you are eligible for an English-language exemption.

Recognised English-language tests:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic module
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • University of Cambridge – Advanced (CAE).

In some cases, we will accept results from tests that are not listed above.

Entry requirements by study level

Each study level has different requirements.

  • Certificate and diploma courses are often practical, and can be completed within a year. Entry requirement vary.
  • Bachelor degrees can be completed in three–four years full-time. They usually require successful secondary-school completion, or equivalent.
  • Graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and masters degrees can take six months, a year or four years full-time, respectively. They usually require a bachelor degree, or equivalent.
  • Research programs can take three to five years (sometimes longer) to complete. They usually require an honours degree, masters degree or equivalent.

Open the level relevant to you for more detail and to find English score requirements.

Check that your qualification meets the international minimum academic requirements for a course.

Additional or supplementary entry requirements

In some cases, courses will require additional requirements for entry to a VU course. You may need to provide information such as:

  • proof of work experience
  • a portfolio or folio of works
  • a police check or working with children check from your usual country of residence
  • a supplementary information form.

Review the admission information within a course page to find out if additional or supplementary information is required.

Exchange & study abroad students

To apply for the study abroad or exchange program, you need to have achieved an average of 65% or 2.5 grade point average (on a scale of 4 or equivalent) in your studies.