Postgraduate academic entry requirements
Entry into a research program (postgraduate study) requires completion of:
- an honours degree, or
- a masters degree by coursework with a research component, or
- an equivalent qualification from an approved university.
If you have a masters degree that did not include a research component, you may be eligible for our PhD (Integrated) program.
Check that your qualification meets the international academic entry requirements for a course.
We will assess your eligibility when we receive your complete international research degree application.
Postgraduate English language requirements
You will need to provide evidence have achieved the following levels of English language proficiency:
- IELTS (academic module): Overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6.0)
- TOEFL Internet: Test score of 79. Section score no less than:
- Listening: 19
- Speaking: 19
- Reading: 18
- Writing: 22
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Overall score 58-64 (with no section score less than 50)
- University of Cambridge - Advanced (CAE): Overall score of 176. No individual band less than 169.
- VU English - English for Academic Purposes (EAP) (Level 6): Achieved
IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and CAE: These tests must be taken no more than two years prior to commencing your course.
In some cases, we will accept test results from other methods of examination not listed in this table.
Check the English language requirements to see if you qualify for an English language exemption.