This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to work safely and follow work health and safety (WHS) policies and procedures in the resources and infrastructure industries.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take responsibility for the quality of own work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* work safely and follow work health and safety (WHS) policies and procedures on at least two occasions, including:
* sourcing, interpreting, clarifying and applying site safety information
* recognising and following health and safety instructions and information
* clarifying and responding to information and directions
* carrying out work instructions that comply with WHS policies and procedures
* selecting, wearing and maintaining personal protective equipment for all activities that require personal protective equipment
* applying safe lifting and manual handling techniques
* identifying and reporting on WHS issues to relevant personnel
* identifying relevant work permits and clearances
* responding to alarms according to workplace procedures
* completing workplace reporting procedures.
* During the above, the candidate must:
* locate and apply required documentation, policies and procedures and confirm that the work activity is compliant
* implement the requirements, procedures and techniques required to work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
* work with others to undertake work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
* communicate with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to determine coordination requirements prior to commencing and during work activities.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):