This unit of competency specifies the skills and knowledge required to select, prepare and administer contracts for commercial and residential construction projects. It includes contract selection, administration of a range of documents related to the contract and identifying causes of breach of contract.
It applies to National Construction Code (NCC) classifications:
It applies to builders, estimators and project and site managers who interpret complex documents and communicate clearly and succinctly during contract negotiations.This unit of competency is suitable for people operating with autonomy. A person working at this level would be expected to take responsibility for selecting and preparing construction contracts.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* select the correct contract by analysing identified legislative requirements and construction type
* prepare the construction contract specifying requirements for contract termination and special conditions agreed by all parties
* administer the contract following government legal and regulatory requirements and to the organisation’s standards
* monitor price and time variations and negotiate with various parties to resolve contract anomalies
* collect all related construction contract and final inspection documentation and issue completion certificate.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):